SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soldier Thanksgiving story... Where were you???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldier Thanksgiving story... Where were you??? Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted
Thanksgiving 1969 walking foot patrol just outside of the Korean DMZ Fence...... Dinner consisted of Meatball and Spagetti C_Ration heated by burning the card board box.... 5th / 38th FA / 2nd Infantry division / Camp Sabre...................... drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1947 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Embarked troops on USS Ogden off the coast of Viet Nam. First time I ever had Baked Alaska, 1968.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I worked every Thanksgiving for my 4 years of active duty as I was a 94B Army cook. We put quite the spread on that day at the consolidated Dining Facility on post; rather than each Battalion or Brigade having their own mess hall like the old days, I served in a big one that serviced the 5 units on post.

Posts: 33573 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standing guard outside a nuke loaded B-52 at K.I. Sawyer AFB, Thanksgiving 1974. 20 degree weather.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
In 1966 I did Thanksgiving Day in Basic Training in Ft. Lewis Washington State.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I worked every Thanksgiving for my 4 years of active duty as I was a 94B Army cook. We put quite the spread on that day at the consolidated Dining Facility on post ...

Just a few days ago I was telling my son that during my 6 years in the Army, the chow was always pretty damn good. So, thanks and well done.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
2011 at FOB Airborne, Afghanistan. We get hit by RPGs in the morning, local truck driver was killed by shrapnel. Landed close enough to shake the building I was in. Squadron CDR comes into the fires cell, points at the screen and says, "I want 2 rounds of 155 laid on there at my command!" We ended up firing the rounds, didn't kill the fuckers, though.

2013 in Kuwait. Didn't do much that day, it was a slow and quiet day.

Posts: 13041 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Vietnam during Thanksgiving Day. They stood us down for the day, so no flying into NVN. It seems as though we might have had a drink or two to say thank you for a quiet peaceful day.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1965 Vietnam USMC.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1967 - Senior Candidate Infantry OCS, Ft Benning, GA
1968 - I do not remember
1969 - Ft Bragg, 18th Airborne, 30 days until REFRAD

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4247 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
1969?

ET"A" school, GLAKES. Whatever they served at the chow hall.

Food was not memorable either way.

I think it was my time in the military and pretty much always being away from family (other than my wife and kids) but neither the wife or I have ever made a production of the holidays.

Except Christmas when the kids were little of course.

Holidays on the farm were a HUGE deal. Either Thanksgiving or Christmas, and frequently both, were celebrated with all 5 of my brothers and their families being present at the farm along with my Great Aunt Ida (Grandmother Fox's sister, the only survivor of that generation when I was a kid). More food than any reasonable person could eat, discussions of long passed (and past...) relatives, food comas and mass naps after dinner.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of parrotdog
posted Hide Post

24th Evac Hospital, Long Binh

A fairly quiet day and the chow was better

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Posts: 543 | Location: Tacoma WA | Registered: March 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving day 1952, Korea, battle of White Horse Mountain,lost an FO that day. CO C Battery39th FA 3d ID

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
1969? Not too far from you, drill sgt. I was at Camp Casey.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
November 1969, Cape May, New Jersey. USCG boot camp waiting for a new Company Commander who didn't arrive until mid January 1970. I don't think I have ever been as cold as I was that winter.

Posts: 268 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1962 at Ft. Gordon Ga.in basic.Day before Tgiving went thru grenade,infiltration course and it rained off and on all day.Cold all day Tgiving,but meal was great,even with Shrimp cocktails.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving
1985 fort Sam Houston Texas
2004 Taji / camp cooke Iraq
2008 camp Phoenix Afghanistan

Today called in to assist in emergency surgery, but got home in time to enjoy dinner with friends.
Hoping no one needs surgery tomorrow !

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
'68 Boot Camp, Great Lakes.
'69 -'70 USS Nereus AS17.
'71 USS Sperry AS12.
'72 Home

Posts: 1891 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1970 - USMC Boot Camp
1972 - Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club (but dinner was pretty good)

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
2005: Iraq
2006: Iraq
2007: Iraq
2010: Afghanistan
2011: Afghanistan
2012: East Africa
2013: Afghanistan
2014: Arabian Peninsula
2018: Afghanistan
2020: Afghanistan