SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Griddle for gas grille - any grilling experts around?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Griddle for gas grille - any grilling experts around? Login/Join 
posted
OK, what I really want is a Blackstone but it is not in the cards right now and, if I am honest with myself, I would not use it to its potential.

That said, I am looking at a griddle to put on my gas grill and see offerings in both carbon steel and cast iron. I know there are benefit's to each but not sure which is best

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
OK, what I really want is a Blackstone but it is not in the cards right now and, if I am honest with myself, I would not use it to its potential.

That said, I am looking at a griddle to put on my gas grill and see offerings in both carbon steel and cast iron. I know there are benefit's to each but not sure which is best

I have the Arteflame carbon steel for my Weber charcoal and I recently purchased a cast iron griddle for my gas grill.
As of right now, I prefer the carbon steel.
I did season both but the carbon seems to be doing better IMO.
I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have a Lodge reversible (ribbed on one side, flat on the other) cast-iron griddle that works real well in my gas grill.

I like it because I don't have a good vent in the house and getting a good sear on my steaks always seems to smoke up the kitchen. This griddle makes easy work of it.

I use the ribbed side for grilling my vegetables or fish, I get the nice grill lines without anything falling through the grates.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I have a Lodge reversible (ribbed on one side, flat on the other) cast-iron griddle that works real well in my gas grill.

I like it because I don't have a good vent in the house and getting a good sear on my steaks always seems to smoke up the kitchen. This griddle makes easy work of it.

I use the ribbed side for grilling my vegetables or fish, I get the nice grill lines without anything falling through the grates.

That is what I was looking at and, for the same reasons

Thanks for the input

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I too have a lodge griddle, can't beat the price and availability.
I polished the smooth side using a small power sander using this video as a guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljSQrSoSYAE

Then I seasoned it. Works great on my Weber, I can get it screaming hot.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 719 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome. I picked up mine in Home Depot a few years back... washed it real good, and seasoned it in the oven. It says pre-seasoned, but I don't mind doing it.

It's held up just as good as my older Lodge pans.

If you used Cast Iron in the past, it's nothing too different (really just the ribbed side, but a good chainmail makes easy work of that).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Baking Steel Griddle

Not as economical as the lodge - but is full carbon steel.

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you used Cast Iron in the past, it's nothing too different (really just the ribbed side, but a good chainmail makes easy work of that).

Well file that under the learn something new everyday category. A chainmail scrubber.

Posts: 10970 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the small Blackstone griddles, 17" I think. It has been great for camping and quick breakfasts for the family at home on the weekends. I have an adapter hose to hook up a 5 gallon propane tank to it. Bacon, eggs, sausage both bulk or link.

It cleans up easy and is very portable which is great to take camping.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might try grillgrates - reversible for a griddle or fat-line grates. I have 5 panels in my grill & keep 2 on the griddle side for burgers or searing.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Woot has a Jim Beam 20x9 inch reversible griddle on sale right now for $20 bucks.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^Made in China.

Posts: 10970 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^Made in China.

True dat.....I meant to point that out.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post