SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pretty sure every trooper in Ohio had to work today.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pretty sure every trooper in Ohio had to work today. Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Travel was actually light on the interstates but it looked like Ohio had one or two troopers every couple miles for the entire state.

Those guys need a day off too!

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it's always that way in Ohio, but your post reminds me of traveling through there a few times many years ago, and I remember thinking there were a lot of HP on the road in this state. Hmm.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Heavy travel days are high revenue days.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Yeah, the flying donuts are always out in force on holidays, especially on 75 and 675

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
Don't know if it's always that way in Ohio, but your post reminds me of traveling through there a few times many years ago, and I remember thinking there were a lot of HP on the road in this state. Hmm.

It's usually heavily patrolled but today was to the extreme.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, the other form of taxation...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Revenue agents, not Police Officers.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yep. They were even on city streets. I saw one in my city so I parked down the street from him to slow traffic down before he could get them.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have more Troopers on the road than any state I've been in. You won't get many warnings either.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdj:
They have more Troopers on the road than any state I've been in. You won't get many warnings either.

Ohio, PA and NJ...possibly throw in NY too....The Troopers have zero sense of humor, ALL business....FEW Warnings or breaks given.

I could not have done a career like that, may as well get robots or photo radar.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Am I to understand that Ohio has a separate state police and highway patrol? That seems odd (if correct).

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I to understand that Ohio has a separate state police and highway patrol? That seems odd (if correct).

Yes. Our state troopers are separate, they aren’t even technically cops.. they have limited police powers and fall under the department of public safety. And yeah, they’re known for being jack booted dicks but that hasn’t been my experience, and I’ve been pulled over by them 3 times and only given a ticket once. he went easy on me. First time I got pulled over the trooper coulda gotten me really good.

Also they are not people to fuck with. In the police academy they told us the troopers have more police shootings than anyone else in the state and most of the police shooting vids they showed us were the osp. You’ll never see a fat trooper either, and you’ll never see one not wearing his hat

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not totally correct.
Ohio has no STATE POLICE as such.

And even on Sunday they were out in force.

Ohio pays out a lot in over time during holidays.

If they do not write "enough" tickets, based on past tickets given in a certain area, on a certain shift, they are brought in to their Sgt to explain why.

They do or at least did have dogs and usually those troopers who were handlers would work routes that are known to be typical drug routes,
like the Ohio Turnpike.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Originally posted by mdj:

Ohio, PA and NJ...possibly throw in NY too....The Troopers have zero sense of humor, ALL business....FEW Warnings or breaks given.

I could not have done a career like that, may as well get robots or photo radar.

Indiana, I'm convinced that every other person in that state is a state trooper. Really, cross the bridge from Kentucky into Indiana and there is like 10 state troopers within 5 miles from the border. I-65 yep, I-64 yep, I-265 yep. They are everywhere!

They are everywhere. I drive 5 MPH under the posted speed limit, I don't give them a reason to pull me over. Plus, I don't go across the river much because of them!

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
It was my misfortune to work in an area that was also patrolled by OSP.
I will relate one of many OSP war stories:
I had to be at work at midnight. The OSP shift change also took place at midnight. My home was in the same city as the OSP Post. My route from home to work took me through the same route that OSP used to return to the post for shift change. At about 2340, I was happily motoring to work and was coming down a slope on a divided highway when I noticed that not one, but three OSP cars were bellying across the median. Their target: Me. I was doing a little over 60 MPH in the 55 zone. The entire working OSP shift was now chasing me down for 7 over. A drag race then took place to see who would win the chance to pinch me. When the winner finally got me, he was less than thrilled when I called him on the drag race.
At least I was not cited. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’ve known a couple Troopers. Something happens when they put the hat on. Must have been something they learned at the Academy. Off the clock, nice guys.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one of the perks of living here. They are out in force on holiday weekends and do seem to enjoy their job.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
No mystery about the number of troopers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides 500 Million in grants to the 50 states and the territories for targeted traffic safety initiatives such as impaired driving, distracted driving, seat belt initiatives, etc. Much of that money goes for officer overtime and a lot of that overtime is targeted for the holidays, which statistically are the times with the highest death toll.

As far as troopers being serious on the job, after you have seen enough dead people in car wrecks you investigated, you kind of lose your sense of humor about stupid driving behaviors.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The speed limits sure help them out. You can quickly go from 70 to 65 to 60 to 55 in a short stretch.

I certainly get the need for traffic enforcement and the effects seeing them out has on controlling speed overall. My comment was mostly about the extreme effort over and above anywhere else.

Ohio also has front plates. Sure makes it easy to target out of state drivers if they wanted.