SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What sort of trim/transition edge strip am I looking for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What sort of trim/transition edge strip am I looking for? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Home Gym is currently carpeted. I am going to pull/cut out a 12’x 12’ section of the carpet and put down 1/2” rubber.
2 edge lengths will meet the baseboard so I will just mate the rubber up to the baseboard then use quarter road to edge it out. The 2 other edges lead to areas that will stay carpeted so I need some sort of trim/transition strip to mate the rubber edge to the carpeted edge.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the T shaped ones. Like this would probably work:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/FLEXC...ition-Strips/3022481

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Is it regular stretched in place carpet or glued down? If stretched won't it have to be stretched and secured to the floor around the cut line?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Good point. It is stretched. Guess I will need to glue the two edges down to the concrete to keep it in place or add new tack strips.

————————————————

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Z-bar. That’s what I used when transitioning from carpet to tile. Same size differences you’re describing.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Good point. It is stretched. Guess I will need to glue the two edges down to the concrete to keep it in place or add new tack strips.

Against baseboard fine but I hate to see carpet on tack strip at an edge where it can be walked on. How thick is the carpet, 3/16" commercial or thicker residential?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Against baseboard fine but I hate to see carpet on tack strip at an edge where it can be walked on. How thick is the carpet, 3/16" commercial or thicker residential?

Good thought. The transitions both will be in the gym so no one should be tromping around barefoot but probably better glue it.

It is thick fluffy residential stuff. The rubber mats are 4’ x 3’ and pretty heavy so I could just put them over the carpet and be fine but figure it would get pretty nasty under there with sweat getting through the seems and it will be mopped occasionally.

————————————————

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
If I understand correctly you want to end up with a section of 1/2" loose lay rubber with thick carpet and padding meeting up to it, on a concrete floor.
I would pull back the carpet and padding, lay the rubber, then install what its basically aluminum tack strip which incorporates a channel at the rubber side. Then a vinyl "T" moulding inserts in the channel and overlaps both the carpet and rubber.
https://kofflersales.com/p/t-m...3VAB9jQaAlN4EALw_wcB

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything but was interested for the future, so I just googled transition strip and I see literally hundreds of options that seem to meet this need. many different materials and designs. Do the commercial products not meet your needs?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
If I understand correctly you want to end up with a section of 1/2" loose lay rubber with thick carpet and padding meeting up to it, on a concrete floor.
I would pull back the carpet and padding, lay the rubber, then install what its basically aluminum tack strip which incorporates a channel at the rubber side. Then a vinyl "T" moulding inserts in the channel and overlaps both the carpet and rubber.
https://kofflersales.com/p/t-m...3VAB9jQaAlN4EALw_wcB

That appears about right.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I don't know anything but was interested for the future, so I just googled transition strip and I see literally hundreds of options that seem to meet this need. many different materials and designs. Do the commercial products not meet your needs?

I googled as you did and found about 100 options as well.
Figured I would post here and have the folks with experience narrow it down for me.

————————————————