SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Thai Food Experts Here? Curry Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Thai Food Experts Here? Curry Question Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We are going out to a favorite Thai restaurant with friends this Saturday and I would like to try something different from my usual go-to Green Curry.

The place has a variety of curries and I was wondering if someone who knew Thai food would be able to explain them?

Panang Curry
Red Curry
Green Curry (I love this one)
Kang Pla Curry
Massaman Curry

Thanks!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Every curry is different, and you cant always go by the name.
Ask your server, they're generally quite happy to explain them. And I've always found at Thai places they're quite willing to customize to your desired heat level.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Green and Panang are my favorites. Panang curry is a red curry and is usually a little less spicy than green. I think it's mixed with coconut milk and peanuts, so it's a little sweet and peanutty. Mmmm...I'm getting Thai for lunch tomorrow.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Panang Curry is milder than red and does not have the fish sauce that red has, but more typically more coconut/peanut thick and rich.

Red is often more spice, thinner and very savory.

Green is between the two above in savor and spice. sort of middle of the road.

Kang Pla is very spicy and has a lot of fish sauce, so it is more pungent and savory. Almost a vegetable soup style dish.

Massaman Curry is more like Indian curry and sweeter with a spicy bite (a bit bitter).

But the dishes can vary depending on who is preparing them. And the types of vegetables vary as well, and that can affect the overall taste.

I love red and Panang.

And make it very Thai hot.

Almost never too much hot.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Panang is one of my favorite dishes, period.
Local place does a version of it that has pumpkin in it as the main vegetable. It is amazing.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Also, if you like curry, try Tom Ka soup. Coconut milk, curry oil, meat, mushrooms, other tasty stuff.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Aaaaand, now I'm hungry.

I also love the Panang. But I've had it be quite hot.
When I order Indian cuisine, I'll do 7-8/10 on the spicy scale.
Thai, I go for 5/10 and sweat bullets. When your friends look at you and ask if you are ok, that's just about right. When the waitress walks by and asks if you are ok, that's hot.

So I think there may be a little variation on dish prep and that's part of the fun of getting to know your local Thai places.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
Also, if you like curry, try Tom Ka soup. Coconut milk, curry oil, meat, mushrooms, other tasty stuff.

I love that too and will most definitely be getting that on Saturday to start. I think based on the replies here I will give Panang curry a shot.

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post