SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax Charged for Hotel Room not Used?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax Charged for Hotel Room not Used? Login/Join 
Picture of Poacher
posted
I was supposed to stay in Savannah the other day and had to cancel, but not soon enough for the hotel not to charge me for the room. I get that, but do you normally have to pay the tax as well when you did not actually receive the service?

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2243 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The tax is on the sale of the product/service. Not on the usage.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
It just seems that if you don’t use said product or service, you shouldn’t be taxed.
But then I hate all taxes

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2243 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
I was supposed to stay in Savannah the other day and had to cancel, but not soon enough for the hotel not to charge me for the room. I get that, but do you normally have to pay the tax as well when you did not actually receive the service?
Sales tax is charged based on what you pay.

"Occupancy tax" on the other hand -- should you have to pay this if you did not occupy the room? Logically, you shouldn't. But between the hotel's bookkeeping software and the taxing authority's Al Gore rhythms there is probably no way to delete the tax charge.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post