SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pilot Shot Down in Viet Nam in 1967 Brought Home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilot Shot Down in Viet Nam in 1967 Brought Home Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Sir.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Southwest Airlines provided a nice video talking with the pilot/son.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Welcome Home Col. Knight. Rest in Peace Sir

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Heard about this on the radio this morning.

A Southwest employee wrote in the the morning show & gave some additional background on it.

Southwest doesn't operate any cargo, so they would've needed another carrier to transport from Laos to Hawaii.
Not good enough.
SW opened a cargo hub in Hawaii for 1 day so the son could do the entire flight for his dad.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15236 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
It should be noted that Knight was in Vietnam as an A-1E Skyraider pilot, which was one of the highest-risk flying missions in Southeast asia, with a high loss rate. One of their primary missions was close air support of downed airmen, in hostile territory (Laos), often returning heavily shot up.

There is some good discussion of those missions in support of SOG operations and rescuing downed pilots in two books I read recently, including SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam, by John L. Plaster.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing thing. Must be a very emotional time for his remaining family and all that served during that time.

Welcome home hero.

Thank you Lord for bringing him home so he could be laid to rest where he belongs. Amen.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Welcome and RIP.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Heard about this on the radio this morning.

A Southwest employee wrote in the the morning show & gave some additional background on it.

Southwest doesn't operate any cargo, so they would've needed another carrier to transport from Laos to Hawaii.
Not good enough.
SW opened a cargo hub in Hawaii for 1 day so the son could do the entire flight for his dad.

Thank you for sharing this.

Wonderful of Southwest to do that.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn allergies..

Welcome home and well done Southwest.

Posts: 14624 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 One of my 104 pilots was sent to Viet Nam in 67 to fly the A1E (Spad), he is still there
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Damn allergies..

Welcome home and well done Southwest.

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Welcome Home. Sir!
We await our other MIA's...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8338 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, Sir!!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
There was an interview this morning on the local Fox affiliate with the son. It has to have been an emotional event to bring the father home after such a long time. I had vision problems . . . .

Welcome home and RIP, Col. Knight!

I noted that the passengers on the flight all remained aboard and seated while the coffin was removed. A nice touch.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This got me right in the feels. Wow. Welcome home, Sir.

And props to Southwest. I fly a few times a year and it seems like it’s always on SW. I have never had a bad experience with an employee whether ground person or a cabin crew. They always seem happy. a company that would go the extra mile like this for an employee is nice to see. They will continue to get my business.

Posts: 4751 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

I noted that the passengers on the flight all remained aboard and seated while the coffin was removed. A nice touch.

I'm a huge SW fan and have maintained A-List Preferred status for many years. SW simply does the right thing.

I've been at LAX when a service member's remain have come through, both on my flight or on neighboring flights. Most people remain sitting and are respectful. From the terminal, a lot of people are up against the glass and the terminal is more quite than usual. It's a humbling experience and it's nice to see travelers know what to do, even in this day and age of self-absorption.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I always ask myself why I read things like this...Guess I just like a poignant end to one of our human stories. And the tears seem to help wash my soul.

Welcome back Colonel. Your return home timing is impeccable. And America is a better place because your story is being told and will be remembered.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Col.Roy Knight was part of my family lore while growing up. Two of my father's sisters married two of the other Knight brothers just before WW 2 kicked off.
They were both serving as Cavalry Troopers on the Texas/Mexico border just prior to the onset of the war.
Lt.Jack Knight was KIA while serving in Burma in 1945. He received the Medal of Honor during this action.
His brother Curtis Knight a 1st Sergeant in the same unit was wounded in this action and received a Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart. He later recovered from his wounds and served in Korea before retiring to be the game warden at Fort Hood.
Roy Knight was their younger brother and joined the Air Force when he turned 17. Family history had him being shot down while flying an A-1 Skyraider during a bombing run.
They had another brother Llyod Knight who served in WW 2 and Korea. He retired as a Full Colonel in the Army.
These brothers were truly American Patriots and true warriors.
Welcome Home Col. Roy Knight. You were always in your family thoughts and prayers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: m58,

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54W22gT7-R8

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post