SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a book on the Battle of Guadalcanal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a book on the Battle of Guadalcanal Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Helmet for My Pillow is good. Robert Leckie.

Yes, not completely about Guadalcanal but a great book for all ages. I always recommend it to tanagers as I don't want the memory of this horrifical battle to wane.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are all great books. Best book on the air war in the Pacific
is Fire in the Sky by Bergerud.

Posts: 959 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
Not completely on Guadalcanal. However, the following book was the best account I have found on the "Long Patrol" that happened on Guadalcanal.

American Commando: Evans Carlson

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in the Japanese perspective, check out John Toland's 'The Rising Sun'. While the book covers the entire war, there was a good, and lengthy, section on the Japanese experience on Guadalcanal. The author doesn't try to paint them as victims or put them in a positive light. He just shows what the average soldier experienced, and how they suffered more than most people realize.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I didn't realize that as an adult I would absolutely crave knowing about the experiences that my father had gone thru in WWII in the South Pacific. Well, needless to say -> now it's too late to ask. I would strongly urge any of you "youngsters" out there to get your grandfathers (and in some instances your fathers) to share their memories with you. The day will come when you will be happy that you did so....FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post