SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why switch Dicks in the middle of a screw? (political-economic post)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why switch Dicks in the middle of a screw? (political-economic post) Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Vote for Nixon in'72!

Remember that old anti Republican election year bumper sticker?

Some folks still blame ol Tricky Dick for our Chicom woes.

https://www.history.com/this-d...s-in-china-for-talks

February 21
President Nixon arrives in China for talks

"In an amazing turn of events, President Richard Nixon takes a dramatic first step toward normalizing relations with the communist People’s Republic of China (PRC) by traveling to Beijing for a week of talks. Nixon’s historic visit began the slow process of the re-establishing diplomatic relations between the United States and communist China.

Still mired in the unpopular and frustrating Vietnam War in 1971, Nixon surprised the American people by announcing a planned trip to the PRC in 1972. The United States had never stopped formally recognizing the PRC after Mao Zedong’s successful communist revolution of 1949. In fact, the two nations had been bitter enemies. PRC and U.S. troops fought in Korea during the early-1950s, and Chinese aid and advisors supported North Vietnam in its war against the United States."

"The 1972 presidential election was the first since the ratification of the 26th Amendment, which lowered the voting age from 21 to 18. "

Yep. I voted for him.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
At the time it happened, I said out loud it was a mistake.

I stand by that to this day.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Only Nixon could go to China.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok thats a clever slogan for the liberals but I’ll see their slogan and raise them with this little gem. Big Grin

Hindsight is 20/20 and this was well before my time but I believe anything short of killing the entire communist party was a mistake. They are a plague upon the earth. We should have found some creative way to kill those fuckers or give an unfathomable amount of support to anyone or any group willing and able to rid the world of that cancer rather than letting it metastasize.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Some folks still blame ol Tricky Dick for our Chicom woes.

I blame a Willie more than a Dick.

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post