SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about passport/cruise tickets and names.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about passport/cruise tickets and names. Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I have a duaghter getting married in August, and they are thinking of going on a cruise for their honeymoon. My question is about her getting a passport. Should the passport be in her current name, or her married name? If the passport and drivers license names don't match, will that be a problem? What about the cruise and airline tickets? What name should those be in?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
My passport, DL, and plane tickets were in my maiden name when my husband and I went to Germany/Austria for our honeymoon. We flew to Germany two days after we married. I don't see how I couldn't have gotten my passport issued with a new last name before I married or left for Europe.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Take a copy of the marriage license and pictures on a phone.

I would also suggest calling the cruise line for their advice.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
My passport, DL, and plane tickets were in my maiden name when my husband and I went to Germany/Austria for our honeymoon. We flew to Germany two days after we married. I don't see how I couldn't have gotten my passport issued with a new last name before I married or left for Europe.

This is what we did for my daughter,

She leaves them in her maiden name, since they all have her picture and the information matches it's not an issue.

Change the DL and other ID's when she returns.

Other than her wanting to see her name on the documents its not necessary, if she insists on making the change first, then plan on several weeks to get the passport back before leaving on the trip.

My Daughter did this and sweated bullets waiting for documents to get back (passport) with new name to take trip, she wanted her new married name to be on her ID for the trip.

You don't want mismatched names on passport, ID, tickets, etc it will just make the journey difficult maybe even impossible.

Just get them in her maiden name and change when she is back...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Deo Fiducia Nostra
Picture of SigEd
posted Hide Post
You can not apply for a passport in the new name until it is legally changed. All of her ID’s will still be in her maiden name anyway. Apply for the passport now with her current name. It will be just fine for travel after the wedding. She has up to one year to get the name changed at no charge. After a year it is the full cost of a new passport. Congrats to the bride.

SigEd

P220ST .45ACP
P229 .40SW
P229 9mm
P239 9mm
P232SL
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 468 | Location: Franklin, TN | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your quick answers! Just what we were looking for!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I would have her call and check directly with the cruise line and the airline. Different cruise lines and airlines may have different rules.
I have read stories of people left in the cruise terminal as the ship left without them because they did not have the proper paperwork.
It also may depend what country's they may be visiting.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To essentially echo what has been said above, as long as everything is in the same name it really doesn't matter.

In other words, no one actually knows you changed your name until you change it on your identification. So if her ticket, her DL, and her passport all have the same name (in this case, her maiden name because of timing issues) then she will be in the clear.

I'm not aware of how she would be able to get the passport in her married name prior to actually being married anyway. So if they are taking the honeymoon right after the wedding, it is essentially impossible to get a passport in your married name.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would have it all in her current name. No way will she get a passport with her new name for the honeymoon if it's just after the wedding.

No one will know. I guess it sucks if she doesn't have a passport now and has to get one in a name she will be changing soon. I don't see any easy way around it though.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not bother but for a couple of hundred dollars extra, you can employ the services of a registered expediter to get your passport in 24-48 hours.

or $95 extra If you can schedule at a regional passport agency such as at the Western Passport Center in Tucson, Arizona or the Colorado Passport Agency in Aurora, Colorado, for same day service.

You need to schedule the appointment within two weeks of overseas travel.

Standard passport fees are still collected.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post