SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    L.e.o.'s and fixed blade knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.e.o.'s and fixed blade knives Login/Join 
posted
Have noticed more than a few geared up patrolman with fixed blades on their l.b.v.'s or attached to them some how,
never on their bat belt, though.

do all the l.e.o.'s here carry a fixed blade on them ?
are they pretty much s.o.p.? these days?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Still a folder man; carry two , one on either side and practice deployment.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15628 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve carried a karambit behind my mag pouches for years, but it was wrapped in black hockey tape and pretty invisible if you weren’t looking right at it. A visible fixed blade gives you another thing that needs defending from someone trying to disarm you.

Posts: 312 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I added This to my gunbelt, behind my magazine pouch after some guy on PCP grabbed my gun.....

That was sometime around 2005ish...

After that everyone who actually noticed it asked what it was and why...I simply told them that that was never gonna happen to me again.

But I’ve been out of the game since 2017, so I’m not sure it’s standard for all cops to have some kind of straight knife, I doubt it though.

A captain noticed mine one day and I told him that policy allowed me to carry a knife and didn’t define what, or how big...since mine was small I figured it was ok. ( I also told him that if I couldn’t carry one to defend my gun- I’d quit on the spot) it’s hard to fight a bad guy if one hand is on your gun trying to keep him from it....the captain never said another word

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I carry one along with two folders and a multi-tool..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2676 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kabar TDI was designed specifically for weak-hand use to defend a holster grab, with thrusting and slashing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My constant companion was a custom made "entry tool" I wore in an ankle rig every day. Essentially a sharpened mini crowbar that I used often. The ankle set up was low profile but easily accessible. Never without it.
Very similar in design to an Entrek USA Diver knife.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
My son carries a TDI when in uniform.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
I’ve carried a karambit behind my mag pouches for years, but it was wrapped in black hockey tape and pretty invisible if you weren’t looking right at it. A visible fixed blade gives you another thing that needs defending from someone trying to disarm you.

I know several that do the same where I work. It seems to be getting more common.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know several officers who carry fixed blade knives. I always carried a Benchmade mini-griptillian. As someone else mentioned, cops use their knives primarily to open the outer hallway doors at apartment complexes. I had a higher end, larger, benchmade that I broke in an apartment door trying to get in to a domestic call and learned that beater knives serve a purpose (my smaller griptillian is a beater).

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the two I saw last week , looked as though
the handle and blade were all one piece of steel.

5 in blade and 5 in. handle w/o grips.
with a giant ring on the end.

if you make an "S" on a piece of paper , and then make that S 5 times taller , that's what the handle and kydex sheath looked like

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I have an automatic front opening knife clipped to left pants pocket (weak side).

I have a Colonel NCO fixed blade knife on my weak side attached to my inner belt and tucked behind my radio on my outer duty belt. This is for self defense situations only. It works well with my FMA/Silat training. Wink

Colonel NCO Knife and Trainer:

Posts: 3957 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely not standard. Most other officers I know don't typically carry fixed-blade knives, but every one carries at least one folding knife.

Of those few that do carry a fixed blade knife, the Kabar TDI that was previously mentioned is a popular choice. It's designed specifically for LEOs to carry semi-hidden on their weak side on their duty belt, for use when defending against a gun grab. I know of a couple others who carry push daggers in similar ways for similar purposes.

Personally, I carry two folding knives. One is a nicer Benchmade for personal use and delicate use, and the other is a cheaper beater Kershaw for loaning out to others, scraping, prying, and otherwise abusing. I also keep a few other folding knives in various places around vehicles and gear bags.

I have a nice RAT/ESEE RC3 fixed blade knife that I briefly considered possibly carrying on duty, but was not able to find a comfortable and secure way to carry it on my standard duty gear. It currently lives on the outside of a gear backpack, but I may end up moving it to my active shooter plate carrier at some point.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.oregonlive.com/cri...police-shooting.html

I prefer an auto-knife; like the Gerber 06..more secure overall..carry a second 'pocket knife' for the more routine needs.

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep.

As 4ftt74 stated:

quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
A visible fixed blade gives you another thing that needs defending from someone trying to disarm you.

If you're going to carry a knife, you need to have a secure (and preferably hidden) way to do it, plus the awareness/training to defend against attempts to take it away from you.

That's the main reason why I ultimately decided against carrying a fixed blade knife. I'm not just going to openly hang a knife in a friction sheath on the outside of a vest, like some folks commonly do in the military. My pocket knives can be clipped inside pockets and under flaps.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of only one incident where a officer had his folding pocket knife was taken and used against him during a attack. I carry a Old Becker Necker in my uniform pocket. I also have a Sypderco Rescue knife clipped to my body armor under my uniform shirt. I think that any tool that is just held by friction retention my be too easily accessed by bad folks in a fight just my .02 cts VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a few that carry some curvy ones (previously pictured)hidden behind mag pouches but, I don’t know one who doesn’t carry a folder or automatic.

I think you are just asking for trouble hanging a knife off your vest. Unless you are Rambo looking for cold kills.

I am not a knife guy so I don’t really know. I do know I carry it in my cargo pocket I do know how to retain and use it if necessary because I practice once in a while and going to DT training.

Posts: 4068 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm not a cop but I carry a fixed blade, I like the esee izula

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations? My cousin-in-law is leo and I could use a recommendation.

Default I would look at would be an emerson karambit, but I'm open to suggestions.

Posts: 252 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
Any recommendations? My cousin-in-law is leo and I could use a recommendation.

Default I would look at would be an emerson karambit, but I'm open to suggestions.

I have the Emerson Combat Karambit and it is very nice. I have lately become interested in the "Clever Girl" by CRKT. I'm not sure, but it seems they got the name from the first Jurassic Park movie where the Velociraptors are hunting in pairs. Pretty cool basis for the name if it is so.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post