SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a smoker that can be left unattended?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a smoker that can be left unattended? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Pellet grills are basically designed to do that. I have wifi on mine so I can keep an eye on it if I want to but there's not really anything that can happen when you have a metal plate between the fire source and the meat.

I used to have a BGE and left it alone a few times but anytime you have potential grease coming off the food right onto the flame you can have a runaway and there are plenty of ceramic cookers that have cracked so I wouldn't really trust that.

Gas grills as long as you are cooking indirectly you will be fine also.

I've never owned an electric smoker so I can't help you there.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I might start my Traeger at 1800 for a 14 hour smoke on some pork belly but I am subconsciously aware of it throughout the night.
Big Grin Translastion: LS1 is dreaming of pork belly throughout the night Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m usually left unattended.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I might start my Traeger at 1800 for a 14 hour smoke on some pork belly but I am subconsciously aware of it throughout the night.
Big Grin Translastion: LS1 is dreaming of pork belly throughout the nigh Big Grin

That is a Tuesday for me...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I leave my Camp Chef pellet grill unattended overnight. It’s located on concrete and as far away from my house as the cord allows. My house is covered in Hardie plank so the worst that can happen is my grill can burn down. There are WiFi controllers that allow you to monitor remotely

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So it seems like folks are saying the pellet grills and BGE are good to go for the most part.
So I am clear on the BGE. How about some suggestions for pellet grills. Want a good one but don’t want or need some crazy super expensive kind of thing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Go read the bge/komodo joe thread before you land on the bge.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Black92, I have smoked on a BGE (large size) for almost 20 years now. That "grill" is truly a study in wonder. The BGE really can do nearly anything.

HOWEVER...if you are looking for something you can leave and not think about while cooking then I humbly suggest you look into the Cookshack Amerique smoker. www.cookshack.com

I've had one for about 5 years now and I cannot tell you how much I enjoy using it. While smoking on the BGE was very rewarding it also felt somewhat labor intensive even with a temperature controller. The Cookshack, while expensive, is amazingly simple and produces food equal to my best efforts on the BGE.

I feel as though I have the best of both worlds owning a BGE and the Amerique by Cookshack.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I have something similar. A Masterbilt or something like that. An electric smoker that you can leave unattended.

I would often start a pork butt at midnight. Apply wood chips for a couple of hours and then go to bed leaving the smoker on. The unit keeps itself at temperature automatically.

quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Black92, I have smoked on a BGE (large size) for almost 20 years now. That "grill" is truly a study in wonder. The BGE really can do nearly anything.

HOWEVER...if you are looking for something you can leave and not think about while cooking then I humbly suggest you look into the Cookshack Amerique smoker. www.cookshack.com

I've had one for about 5 years now and I cannot tell you how much I enjoy using it. While smoking on the BGE was very rewarding it also felt somewhat labor intensive even with a temperature controller. The Cookshack, while expensive, is amazingly simple and produces food equal to my best efforts on the BGE.

I feel as though I have the best of both worlds owning a BGE and the Amerique by Cookshack.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for a good pellet grill, get the RECTEC.

The entire cooking chamber is stainless steel. All the hardware is large stainless steel.

The only powder coated carbon steel is the skirt, the legs, and the lower tray. The Traegers and Green Mountain grills are powder coated steel. My old Traeger lasted 9 years but it was a rust bucket by the time I handed it down to my daughter.

The Rec Tec has a ceramic igniter that’s supposed to last longer than the Traeger heat rod. My old Traeger was only able to reach temps of 475 on a hot summer day. I received my Rec Tec in December, I think and was able to reach temps of 575 in the winter. I also like the fact that the Rec Tec has a light in the cooking chamber.

I have the RT-700 Bull but they make a smaller unit for the less serious BBQ-er.

To me, it was the best quality pellet grill that was not 100% US made. The controller is made in the US, the main body is MIC. If I wanted a 100% US made grill of the same size, I would have had to buy a MAK 3-star general which would have cost $6,500.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
My dad's got a electric cabinet smoker. He turns it on and just goes to sleep. Wakes up to good meat.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
My dad's got a electric cabinet smoker. He turns it on and just goes to sleep. Wakes up to good meat.

Neighbor would put ribs in a Lowes electric smoker, set the timer, go bay fishing. I bought three.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Here's my Rec-Tec the day I put it together.

We cook everything on it from bacon for breakfast, to bavette steak, pulled pork, turkey and pizza.

Their trial blazer model (340sq in of cooking area) is $600 and a good starter grill. My RT-700 (702sq in of cooking area) was $1,200.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Go to Sam's Club and buy a roasted chicken for $5.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I had a BGE with an IQ temp controller, then I went to a GMG (green mountain grill) pellet smoker and havent looked back, when its real cold outside it burns through pellets fast so an insulator blanket is rec'd for those colder days of the year. It has an app you can set alarms for time, meat temp, grill temp etc. I will start a brisket before bed, refill the hopper in the morning( I did have to cut a hole in a bucket and rest it on top of the hopper filled with even more pellets to make it through a day at work without the alarm going off) then let it smoke all day at work and viola, fresh brisket for dinner. I bought it locally from a great store that assembled and delivered same day.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have left my Big Green Egg for up to 12 hours on a slow cook at 225 degrees. Somebody was home but I was not there watching it. I use a digi-Q temperature controller to hold the temperature but there is really no way for the fire to get out of that thing with the lid closed.

q

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a Weber smoker(looks like a black R2D2) that uses charcoal...I leave it alone all the time. It’s on the back patio and doesn’t complain. Haha

You guys with your fancy temp controlled internet monitored gadgets!!! Wink

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Pellet grills are basically designed to do that. I have wifi on mine so I can keep an eye on it if I want to but there's not really anything that can happen when you have a metal plate between the fire source and the meat.

I've had the feed system jam up on my pellet smoker before, where you have to crawl under the smoker and bang on the underside of the feed tube with a hammer. (No shit... That's the recommended fix.)

I've also had it go on unexplained high temperature runs.

So I don't leave mine unattended, partially for extra safety, and mostly to keep an eye out for temp anomalies that need to be addressed. I use Weber remote thermometer probes feeding data to my phone. One probe for the meat, and one for ambient temp.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I wouldn’t hesitate to leave my electric smoker for a couple hours. I run errands quite often. It is basically an oven that burns wood chips. Food tastes great.

https://www.smokin-it.com/

I have one of these, and absolutely LOVE it! It really is a "set it and forget it" smoker. It seems to very similar to the "Cookshack" mentioned by rsbolo.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chief1200
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

https://www.smokin-it.com/

Sig77: Overall, how would you rate your smoker? I have an older propane smoker on last leg. Do you recommend the Smoke it?
THANKS

Posts: 76 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post