SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a smoker that can be left unattended?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a smoker that can be left unattended? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Getting tired of the whole chicken in a crock pot.
We’re busy folks that generally eat pretty boring. One of the weekly meals is a whole chicken plopped in the crock pot for about 5 hours.
Tastes good and is super moist. But sometimes I just don’t want it falling off the bone.
Is there a smoker I can pop a whole chicken or turkey in and leave the house for a few hours?
Or a pan of ribs or chicken wings?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally would trust any combustible material to an older while I'm not home.

There are plenty of pellet smokers that are automated but I still wouldn't leave them unattended.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't leave my pellet smoker unattended.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t hesitate to leave my electric smoker for a couple hours. I run errands quite often. It is basically an oven that burns wood chips. Food tastes great.

https://www.smokin-it.com/

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I often leave my Big Green Egg-worst thing that can happen is that the fire goes out. But it won't.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Lot's of them have wifi connections so they can be monitored and adjusted remotely by and app on your smartphone.

I would have no problem leaving my pellet smoker going if it was away from anything that could catch on fire if something went wrong. On my hard pool deck, in my green lawn, etc. I would not be concerned and mine doesn't have wifi.

Green Mountain Grills, Rec Tec, Yoder, and others all have wifi controllers so you would be able to monitor the cook the whole time.

That said, a roasted chicken in my pellet grill can be cooked in about an hour and it is delicious.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I put a brisket on my egg at night and sleep straight through till morning. Keeps temp all night on the number with the BBQ Guru gizmo. Never gave it a thought, not much there that can go wrong.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The various smoking forums are full of fail stories of trying to leave automated smokers unattended. Fans fail, temp probes go whacky, computer boards fail etc. And of course these things happen at the worst of times. When you have a prime or wagyu brisket on. Never when you have that piece of choice grade brisket on. Chicken don't take that long to cook anyhow. Pre plan your time and enjoy the process.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Another Egg user here too.
I leave all kinds of things for hours and not have to do anything especially brisket or ribs to a lesser degree (time).
Sometimes the temp will creep up on you but generally very stable.
After all if you lookin' your not cookin'. Smile

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This is pretty much the only way I cook whole chickens nowadays. So much faster, easier to get the breasts and dark meat done at same time. Best for grilling, but you can use your preferred method of cooking. This is a major time saver, game changing. I have changed from a couple of times a year doing whole chickens to every month. Best part is I turn it into two meals+. I save the gibblets and back plus carcass and make stock. Then I take chicken leftovers and stock plus veggies and make chicken noodle soup.

Can't recommend it enough, I think tatortodd turned me on to it.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Ppa1bxB89vg

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a BGE with a CyberQ temp controller. I smoked year around in Anchorage, Calgary, and N Houston. Most of those 3 places are downright miserable outdoors 5 to 10 months a year so I’m certainly not outdoors attending to it. Briskets and pork butts I sleep through most of the cook. My pit temp alarm would wake me up if it got too hot or cold.

Like Skins, I’m a big fan of spatchcock chicken and turkey. Faster and juicier than beer can chicken or smoking the intact whole chicken. I’ve posted about it several times over the years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I grilled a 16 pound spatchcock Turkey a couple weeks ago on my Weber. It was done in 3 hours and was delicious but I didn’t leave it for long during the cook.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got an Egg, an electric, and a pellet, I've run all of them overnight and while at work with no concerns.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
A mixed bag of responses, from a safety standpoint it's a good idea to keep an eye on any source of ignition. That said I have no problem leaving my pellet smoker, I have an app that I can check anytime plus alarms at preset temps. I can also start it remotely ( I don't do that ! ) as well as turning it off, that I do.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Big Green Egg.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a BGE and although I could leave it for a few hours as they hold their temperature very well, I am too anal to do it. Now if I had a temperature controller you can attach to it to ensure it stays at a certain temp, then yes I would absolutely leave it for whatever amount of time.

I can’t afford those controllers right now, but I know people who have one and they are amazing from what they say.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Big Green Egg.

This.
Fill a BGE w/ lump charcoal and open the vents all the way, nothing happens except it gets really hot inside. In fact, some people might actually do this to clean it. I did it to restore a rusted cast iron pan. Temps started coming down after an hour to hour and a half after being 750*+ for the duration.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I spatchcock cooked a chicken just tonight. I agree, that's its easy and I do is every couple of weeks. I mix butter and seasoning powder and then get it under the skin. It's awesome! I learned from a video by Binging with Babish.

As to your original questions, I don't see why you couldn't get one of those IP cameras and point it at the smoker to check periodically. Give you a little piece of mind that you aren't burning your neighborhood down.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Rec Tec grill here. Wouldn’t hesitate to leave it unattended. I used to plop a pork shoulder in the Traeger at 11PM and fill the hopper and go to sleep. Wake up the next morning and top off the hopper until noon.

I got rid of the traeger last year and upgraded to the Rec Tec.

I use the WiFi all the time to turn it on remotely and monitor temperature. It works great.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I might start my Traeger at 1800 for a 14 hour smoke on some pork belly but I am subconsciously aware of it throughout the night.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post