SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Broken ankle-wife. Looking for recovery expectations .
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken ankle-wife. Looking for recovery expectations . Login/Join 
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^
Called a knee scooter. Wheelchair is needed too.

Got her a knee scooter, really helping with getting around the house!!

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, appreciate the emails and advice given here.

Surgery is scheduled for noon tomorrow, the surgeon booked the OR room for 2.5 hours and will be doing the bone repairs as well a ligament repair.

I`ll update when I find out what was done and what her prognosis and recovery instructions look like.

We have a great PT lined up, I recently used this PT for a rotator cuff/labrum/impingement repair I had October. I`m usually the one getting hurt and fixed (2 knee surgeries/1 shoulder, several facet joint blocks over the last 3 years) and I have to say its almost easier going through it than to watch her suffer this injury.

She will attack the PT and go as hard as the PT lets her, mentally now that surgery is booked I'm seeing her spirit and grit come back which is awesome.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:

Surgery is scheduled for noon tomorrow, the surgeon booked the OR room for 2.5 hours and will be doing the bone repairs as well a ligament repair.

I`ll update when I find out what was done and what her prognosis and recovery instructions look like.

We have a great PT lined up, I recently used this PT for a rotator cuff/labrum/impingement repair I had October. I`m usually the one getting hurt and fixed (2 knee surgeries/1 shoulder, several facet joint blocks over the last 3 years) and I have to say its almost easier going through it than to watch her suffer this injury.

She will attack the PT and go as hard as the PT lets her, mentally now that surgery is booked I'm seeing her spirit and grit come back which is awesome.

I found a PT place that had a water treadmill. It was amazing. Because of my knees and back, it was the first time I had ran in years. I really liked the water-based PT, and made progress on several other old injuries at the same time. I highly recommend water treadmill PT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:

I found a PT place that had a water treadmill. It was amazing. Because of my knees and back, it was the first time I had ran in years. I really liked the water-based PT, and made progress on several other old injuries at the same time. I highly recommend water treadmill PT.

Thank you,

The facility she will use has this device, good to know it will come in to play. She is ready for this surgery today, pain is really ramping up and she’s really uncomfortable.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
It’s five minutes to launch, prayers for a successful surgery and complete healing!

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My wife was a ballet dancer and teacher for 40 years.
9 years ago she broke her fibula to where it needed a plate
The tibia needed a screw at the bottom. She was 10 weeks before she could walk.
She knew she'd never dance/teach again.

As Marzy said earlier, my wife then broke har tibia just above the ankle and the fibula above the plate and screws.
Surgery was quick. One rod and big bolts.
She was 6 weeks in the bed, with Tabitha living here full time.
I bought a hover round type chair so she could get around when she was ready to move around on her own.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is it economically feasible to hire help for, say, housework, cooking, dog walking?

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
She’s home, comfortable and per the surgeon had a great result. He did tell me 4-6 weeks non weight bearing and we’re looking at 3 months plus for her to resume walking the dogs and starting the activity she’s used to. She does have plates and screws and he also repaired 2 ligament tears.

No cast, heavy splints which surprised me.
I truly appreciate your replies and emails, they helped us set expectations and goals for recovery.

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
It’s five minutes to launch, prayers for a successful surgery and complete healing!

Thank you. Went well!!!

Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Start looking for one of those bags that goes on like a sock where it's closed end at the foot and seals just above the bandage wrap so she can take a shower if need be. When I snapped my tibula and fibula it was a big help and they were surprisingly hard to find so it may take some time. Compounded my fibula and spiraled my tabula with a bunch of hardware installed. I did get to a point after several weeks or so where I could tip toe in the shower on the broke leg to shower with help

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No experience with that type of ankle surgery, (I have had some bone removed from my ankle which wasn’t very painful) but whenI broke my finger they had to put some screws and a plate in. Make sure she does what the doctor says and follows through with physical therapy. I found that however many reps they gave me I just doubled it. I’ve had fantastic results. Physical therapy will be painful, but push through it, and it will all be over faster. It felt 90% mental just dealing with the pain and discomfort. Know that it will be 2 steps forward and 1 back. It will be frustrating at times. Icing it took away majority of my pain, and I found I only needed 1 pain killer a night for a week. Best of luck with the recovery.

Posts: 418 | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket72:
Start looking for one of those bags that goes on like a sock where it's closed end at the foot and seals just above the bandage wrap so she can take a shower if need be. When I snapped my tibula and fibula it was a big help and they were surprisingly hard to find so it may take some time. Compounded my fibula and spiraled my tabula with a bunch of hardware installed. I did get to a point after several weeks or so where I could tip toe in the shower on the broke leg to shower with help

I grabbed one this morning- thank you!

posted Hide Post
I'm serious about the temporary handicapped parking placard . You'll thank me later , and come to really have an appreciation for people that have to live with that issue .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm serious about the temporary handicapped parking placard . You'll thank me later , and come to really have an appreciation for people that have to live with that issue .

I am taking care of that today, I’m thanking you you now! She'll Be looking to get out of the house by next week so yes this is a must have.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

I have some idea of what she's going through. I was incarcerated in a live-in rehab center for a month and a half, with Physical Therapy every day, and then months of out-patient therapy, after surgery to implant support hardware after a fracture:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liner I tried to send you an email pic of when I had a similar injury in 1984 so your wife feels better about hers. Smile

Your email isn’t working for some reason so I will post it here. Hopefully not grossing out too many people.

I re-broke it after it was “mostly” healed and had to get a cast after the re-break.

I’ve never had a single issue since. Playing hockey and many other sports.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Go online and hunt a used electric scooter.
I gave $400 for my wife's with new batteries.

You'll need a shower chair too.
I basically hired Marzy's girlfriend to live with us.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Liner I tried to send you an email pic of when I had a similar injury in 1984 so your wife feels better about hers. Smile

Your email isn’t working for some reason so I will post it here. Hopefully not grossing out too many people.

I re-broke it after it was “mostly” healed and had to get a cast after the re-break.

I’ve never had a single issue since. Playing hockey and many other sports.

Showed her that pic and wow she’s happy that’s not her result!

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Check out Cissus. Cissus Quadrangularis. Years ago, through the powerlifting community I came across this. At the time I don't think there were any human studies, but it was shown in more than one dog study to heal broken femurs in like half the time, don't quote me. WAY faster though.

I've used it 5-6 times for torn pecs, tricep, hamstrings, etc. A 3 month to recover pec tear goes down to 1 month. It's crazy. And makes the joints and general pains go way down.

Anyway, there's studies on humans showing similar stuff now. If I broke a bone, I'd be all over the Cissus. My opinion is a bone break will heal minimum 25% faster. Maybe more if diet is right, and all the right rehab moves are made.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4784127/

(this article uses the word, thrice. Thrice a day. haven't seen that in the wild much.)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28165166/

Gave it to my 8-10 year old Presa, 90lbs athletic dog who was getting up slow and struggling, and it was a new dog like 20 mins later. No kidding, sprinting and acting like a pup.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Showed her that pic and wow she’s happy that’s not her result!
hahah. I thought that might make her feel better. Now they typically put all the hardware inside. The good part about the external fixator is that once it is healed they remove it and you are not left with any internal hardware that can cause future arthritis. I still remember hitting that vertical bar that connects all the horizontal pins on the toilet while I was standing trying to pee. Straight shock to the bone.

The rod that was left in my femur was actually the only thing that caused me some problems. About 5 years after the original operation and I had to go back in and have another surgery to remove it.

The good news is that once I let it heal for good I've never had any issues with that leg what so ever.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post