SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to Do if Your Car Is Submerged in Water
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to Do if Your Car Is Submerged in Water Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I have a Resqme attached to the sun visor in my truck so that I can break the glass and cut my seatbelt. I imagine the inrush of water after breaking the glass will be pretty similar to the HUET simulator so in the unlikely event it happens I'm planning to unbuckle after inrush.

I have had two Resqme tools that shit the bed by simply being carried in a cargo pant pocket at work. They rely on some type of spring loaded, self resetting mechanism. I could hear the internals rattling around and the spring would not deploy. I email the company and never got a response. I cannot recommend them.

Mythbusters did a car under water episode and I recall the best outcome was to immediately roll down any and all windows. The cars will still have electrical power for several seconds. Keep your seat belt on and wait for the car to fully submerse in the water. You dont know if the car will flip while submerging and you may not have a sense of which way is up. Let the car fill up with water and balance the pressure. Exit out the window or open the door.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm in agreement with shoot out the windows. I'm strange. I actually keep foam ear plugs in a waterproof container in the center console.

Won't help with the concussion but at least my ears won't ring while I try to swim.

Years ago we did a class and shot at targets from inside a vehicle. Even with ear protection, the concussion from 357SIG was really bad inside the car. Even with the windows open. You could see dust fly out the windows.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you're really going to whip out a pair of ear plugs when you're about to drown, you're cooler than the backside of my pillow.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slide the little orange door lock and open the door .

I have to live long enough to kill the deer that jumped in front of me ,forcing me to swerve in too the canal.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Use a spring loaded center punch to shatter the driver window. Then swim out. If the car is under water you can't open the door due to the water pressure on the door.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Step 1. Hold your breath.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mythbusters did a car under water episode and I recall the best outcome was to immediately roll down any and all windows. The cars will still have electrical power for several seconds.

I'm glad I've now thought about this...
because those first few seconds would be crucial.
Roll down the windows. Right away. Before losing power. If you have to think about it, you're losing crucial seconds.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever discharged inside a vehicle w/o ear pro?

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post