SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    8 dolphins dead after washing ashore on NJ beach
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 dolphins dead after washing ashore on NJ beach Login/Join 
posted
Ever since construction began on wind turbines off the New Jersey coast, the number of dead whales and dolphins has increased exponentially here. The eight dead dolphins are just today.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/8-do...ey/story?id=98024202

Construction of the turbines involves a lot more damage to the seabed than even drilling. Plus there is the potential issue of ongoing issues of migrating fish, birds and of course marine mammals. Many environmental groups oppose these turbines. Others like them and don't give a damn about whales, dolphins, fish and birds. My own view is that I think it's time to call a halt to the ocean turbines.

Posts: 1053 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The net results of wind energy are so pitiful it's laughable. But, logic never means anything to Leftists.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over 500 dolphins died by me after the Bonne Carre spillway got opened multiple times in a year. I’m just now sporadically starting to see them at the house when multiple pods swam by daily prior

Mid Barataria diversion…. Some northern congress critter signed off on an exemption of the marine mammals acts…. $2billion to rebuild 40 miles of land in the next 50 years (after it removes 24 miles of marsh) at the same time it destroys all oyster beds, shrimping areas and all dolphin pods. All while the Corps of Engineers dumps millions of metric tons of dredged MS river mud over the shelf in the Gulf annually (same stuff they building the diversion for)

The double speak annoys me to no end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m all for a detailed analysis of the wind & solar projects, with Government subsidies REMOVED. I agree, for the expense the only coming out ahead are those involved selling & putting up infrastructure.

They can easily permit offshore wind farms, but we can’t build an oil refinery.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
“Save the whales” must not be fashionable anymore. I thought the wack jobs on the left were all about the environment. Why aren’t they shrieking at the government about this? Marching around and slinging bricks? Why isn’t the government halting this for study?

That’s right; the inmates are running the asylum.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wind energy, solar energy, and ethanol in fuel are all BS subsidized and forced down our throats by the government

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Did they die and wash ashore or die as soon at they touched Jersey?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
In stark contrast to the bucolic vision of harvesting energy from the wind, New Jersey is witnessing harsh political reality. Gov. Phil Murphy has approved a large offshore wind farm in southern New Jersey, and local residents and officials who oppose the project because of extremely high costs, the lack of reliable energy, and the impact on marine life are being steamrolled.

Murphy’s stated objective is to reduce emissions from conventional fuels to stop global warming. Yet climate models show that the global temperature reduction would be infinitesimal, even if New Jersey stopped consuming all conventional fuels for its electricity needs. For these insignificant effects on temperatures, the governor is asking New Jersey residents to pay some $74 billion to build offshore wind farms that are significantly less reliable at producing electricity than fossil fuels and nuclear energy.

The first of these wind boondoggles is Ocean Wind 1, an 1,100-megawatt project in the early stages of construction off the shores of southern New Jersey, developed by Danish company Ørsted. On a windy day, the Ocean Wind 1 project could power some 500,000 homes, rivaling the output from the Hope Creek Nuclear Generating Station on the Delaware River.

But Ocean Wind 1 is only the start of Murphy’s ambitions. The governor’s aims are tenfold—he wants to install 11,000 megawatts of offshore wind by the year 2040, which would include the much larger Atlantic Shores project that would see hundreds of turbines the height of the Eiffel Tower installed as close as 9 miles from the shore.

Let us count the problems with this plan.

Offshore wind is unpopular with locals, and opponents made their voices heard at a public forum last week in Ocean City. Residents mentioned the recent increases in whale deaths; the potential harm to the tourism industry from destruction of historic viewsheds; and the lack of transparency from the state regulator, the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities.

A local reporter summed up the meeting by saying, “One thing was clear after speaker after speaker denounced the projects: Cape May County officials and residents clearly do not want wind farm energy off the coast.”

The cost of the governor’s offshore wind ambition is staggering. We took the amount of offshore wind he wants to build—11,000 megawatts—and multiplied it by the Energy Information Administration’s estimate of the upfront cost of construction of offshore wind in New Jersey, which is just over $6.75 million per megawatt. We got a price tag of $74.25 billion. Spread over the population of New Jersey, that amounts to just over $8,000 per resident.

The wind turbines these funds would finance would not meaningfully reduce global temperatures. Even if New Jersey’s entire electricity sector stopped emitting greenhouse gases today, our estimates in The Heritage Foundation Center for Data Analysis (using a U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change climate simulator model) indicate the temperature reduction would be no more than 0.0003 degrees Celsius by 2050 and 0.0007 degrees Celsius by 2100. (The Daily Signal is the news and commentary website of The Heritage Foundation.)

So why move forward? The mandated buildout of offshore wind in New Jersey is a political scheme for Murphy to earn glowing headlines and enrich his friends at foreign green energy companies at the expense of unwitting residents. Actions this misleading and harmful to the state could rightly be characterized as fraud if they weren’t being done with the legal backing of the state Legislature.

But it’s not just New Jersey. The same story is playing out across the country: Anyone who doesn’t submit to net-zero carbon emissions schemes will be coerced.

New Jersey residents and local leaders are seeing the ugly side of green energy. By any measure, the governor’s dream of offshore wind is a bad bargain, but the silver lining is that it’s not too late to change course. As the governor learns just how unpopular and expensive his net-zero vision is, he should drop his arbitrary offshore wind goals and walk away.

Then it would be no harm, no foul—residents keep their money, whales rejoice, and the governor spares everyone the public fight.

Link

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
“Save the whales” must not be fashionable anymore. I thought the wack jobs on the left were all about the environment. Why aren’t they shrieking at the government about this? Marching around and slinging bricks? Why isn’t the government halting this for study?

That’s right; the inmates are running the asylum.

You got it all wrong gearhounds!

Everything that the enviro-crazies are doing is just fine, but it’s the whales that are the problem here, as explained by the official Communist record of propaganda and correct-think (nyt) comes this masterpiece of illusion, gas-lighting and back-flipping gyrations of reality denial -

Why 23 Dead Whales Have Washed Up on the East Coast Since December

The whale deaths are largely attributed to ship strikes with explanations provided to explain the various factors for this.

Whales don’t you know are know are all of a sudden too stupid to avoid a very large and noisy object that is in their navigational path.

The article briefly and only casually mentions that offshore construction projects may have an impact but “NOAA and the Marine Mammal Commission say there is no evidence that this is true.”

Just as one would expect from the nyt this article is quite the load of BS.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Commies don't care about the environment. I learned relatively recently that in the late 50s/early 60s the Chinese Communists tried their damnedest - and nearly succeeded - to extirpate sparrows. Supposedly the sparrows were eating - or so they said - what little grain they managed to grow. Instead, insects, which had been kept under control by the sparrows, scarfed it up.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Wales are dying, it must be the wind farms. That is BULLSHIT! No study to prove it but it must be a fact.

I live on the coast. I don't want to see the wind farms going up. My town has a closed nuclear power plant that still has connections to the grid so the power from the wind farms will be sent to the plant and distributed. But I'm still against the farm.

Until and if it is proven in a study the wind farm should be allowed to proceed.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post