SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USAF KC-135 air tanker flying though the Mach Loop in Wales....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAF KC-135 air tanker flying though the Mach Loop in Wales.... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Not something you see that often, if ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0meZA2Zy2hU

Posts: 11353 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

It's crazy to think those things were placed in service when Eisenhower was our President...

Posts: 33937 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First plane I ever flew on was a B-707, on which the KC-135 was based. Fall of 1965, I think, Chicago O'Hare to Washington, D.C.

I remember Boeing developed that higher vertical stabilizer to increase stability during refueling ops.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9193 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I'd love to go to mach loop someday. He's a bit higher than the fighters, but pretty awesome seeing something that big flying the loop!

The KC135/707 is a badass airplane. They've been in service forever, and have filled so many roles. There's a story out there from the testing phase that one of the pilots did a complete roll in the "Dash-80" prototype during testing...which doesn't sound like a huge deal until you consider it's a 4-engine airliner!

Posts: 8726 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
I imagine that would be akin to taking a Vespa on the Tail of the Dragon.... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1368 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Too bad that Rainbow Canyon has been closed - now in a position to go there but there’s nothing to see

Posts: 53268 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Too bad that Rainbow Canyon has been closed - now in a position to go there but there’s nothing to see

Flights were suspended but, it is currently open, plenty of recent images.
Pilots are 'recommended' to fly 1000' above the canyon lip however.....

Posts: 14725 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched another with a C 130

With the rear ramp down and four guys sitting on it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54749 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Just watched another with a C 130

With the rear ramp down and four guys sitting on it.

Sigh............memories, eh? Once upon a time I would have been one of those four guys.....

Posts: 11353 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post