SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This auto insurence deal..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This auto insurence deal.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I learned years back of a very good company, right here in Sig Forum. When I bought my policy from them, it was $345.00 for a whole year. I watched that double over 5 years without ever having a claim or driving infraction. For reasons which one of their employees made a mistake only to correct at the last minute, I bought a new policy at another company. I dont like them one little bit so am shopping around again. Geico, which I know nothing of has quoted me near a grand for a year. I cannot use USAA and have heard some things about them that says stay away. I really miss the good days with Amica but they've gotten pricey. Have you any advice on affordable basic coverage?

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If there is a Farm Bureau in your area, it’s a great company. We used NC Farm Bureau and when we moved to TX we use TX FB. You do have to buy into it buts it’s $50/year.

My mom used to work for AllState and told me to shop my rates annually and to get them to compare apples to apples….I made a copy of my coverage and then blacked out the rate and had other people fill in the blank.

Farm Bureau has our two cars and homeowners…no one was close

My big kid in NC still has NCFB for his house and car

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11300 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I will check them out now Mike. Never heard of them untill now. Thank you.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Try Auto-Owners Insurance, it is available in your state.

We have used them for almost twenty years. In that time one claim due to a power surge and several auto glass claims. All resolved quickly and no drama.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm not very good at doing this but I hear if you're a good driver, it's a good idea to shop around every year to get the lowest price.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Ask for a quote from your local American Family Insurance agent. Might be surprised.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Safeco is who we use

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I left USAA about six yrs ago after a bad claim experience and Farmers was cheaper anyway. Farmers kept raising our rates despite no tickets, accidents or claims other than windshields (which everyone in AZ has to deal with a lot). Finally, when Mrs. Lee got a new car a few weeks ago and our rates were going to go up another $75/mo, I said I was going to start shopping.

My Farmers agent said they had acquired and rebranded MetLife and he ran us through their quoter. $200/mo CHEAPER than before. Geezus. $2400 annual savings for the exact same coverage. Oh, I jumped on that. So call Farmers and ask about their rebranded MetLife pricing.

Posts: 3548 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your advice. Ive been getting new quotes but nothing is as low as my original carrier. Insurence just keeps getting more expensive. For no reason.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if Amica is your 'original' carrier, or where their quote is in relation to other quotes you've received, but if you were happy with them, have you considered their 'Dividend policy' where you get a refund/rebate on your premium at the end of the policy term. Ultimately you do pay a lower premium, though the initial premium is higher. Amica claims the dividend is on average 5-20% of the policy premium. Full disclosure - I do NOT have the Dividend Policy and thus far chosen to pay less on the initial premium, so I've got no actual experience to convey on the dividend or that type of policy, but it may be right for you and a way to save money AND get good service!

https://www.amica.com/en/products/dividend.html

I have Amica currently, and I've been VERY pleased with their service. I like the fact that they don't have agents, which I've never felt added anything to the equation other than the cost of having a 'middleman' between the insured and the insurer. I've always gotten outstanding and prompt customer service from Amica, whether it's to make policy changes (adding vehicles, adding a 'new' driver, contemplating changes in coverage, etc) or processing claims. It's ALWAYS been painless, and a pleasure to deal with them. I'm also fortunate to have one of their regional offices 10 miles from my home, and on one occasion visited there to get some questions answered I felt 'might' be better addressed face to face rather than on the phone. They've been my insurer for both Auto & Home for the past 15 years and admittedly, I have seen their rates rise over time as well, though I don't think that's unique to Amica. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8930 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yup nhra, Amica. I was with them for 5 years plus. I really like this company. Always great service and I never had a issue if any kind with them. Looks like I will go back. Thank you for your thoughts.

posted Hide Post
I think Costco runs it through American Family and I hear good things about satisfaction levels.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there is a Farm Bureau in your area, it’s a great company.

You have inspired me to seek a quote.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24154 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I just renewed my insurance today with Plymouth Rock Teachers Insurance. I first started using them a year ago when they gave me a price of $2K less than Liberty Mutual. For the past 10 years I shop every year for prices. I have 5 vehicles with full coverage and this year it was around $4500. You have to shop and make sure the coverage is the same. Some companies will raise your deductibles to get the same prices.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Plymouth Rock Teachers Insurance is exclusively for Teachers...That reside in NJ!

From their website:

"At Teachers’ Insurance Plan of NJ, we recognize the importance of the educational community, and we are proud to offer car insurance exclusively to this special group of people. More than just insurance, we are committed to providing you with unique educator benefits and exceptional customer care..."

"Since we focus on insuring only members of the educational community in New Jersey ranging from early childhood all the way through higher education, we are able to offer special quotes for teacher insurance at a lower price than other companies."

David Lee is neither a Teacher, nor is he located in NJ...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8930 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My son who got married this year just signed for a Plymouth Rock auto policy this afternoon from the agent that handles our insurance company. Neither he or his wife are teachers. It is possible that he has a non teacher policy.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
FWIW, my $0.02;

o HIGHLY recommend going to an actual brick and mortar local insurance agent. I've had multiple occasions where this was better than whatever.com, not to mention service after the same.

o Insurance is hard core "Moneyball" complex algorithms, statistics, not to mention, they are investing your premiums and need [x] ROI to cover losses; ROIs go down or more risky or inflation spikes claim costs, your rates go up

o I'd bet $1 1st year premiums are always lower than average due to statistics of you with them for at least several years thereafter for a higher profit allowing them to risk a low $ 1st year.

o With one exception (Motorcycle policy) my hand was basically forced to change agents every 5-10 years due to incremental increases... I went 10 years+ with zero claims from Alstate and had to switch to State Farm (~ 50% price difference)

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Amica is brick and mortor. They sell only Amica insurence. I started with them near 6 years back and State minimum coverage was $345.00 per year. Doesn't get any better than that. 6 years later it is nearly 3 times this at $966.00 plus fees for electronic billing. A fee for statement via email. Lets just call it a grand and still cheaper than all other quotes I've got so far. I dont see how I can do better.

posted Hide Post
I’m in Florida and car and house insurance is outrageous. I’m with USAA Wife doesn’t work and I work from home so we each drive ~5k a year miles. Each driving 30+ years. No tickets or accidents for either in 10+ years. 2017 Tacoma and 2013 4runner This week I paid 1700 for 6 months includes full coverage and 300/500 liability. And that’s discounted because i have my house with them. I shopped it earlier this year and while I could find marginally cheaper car insurance the savings was mostly wiped by the fact my roof is 10+ years old and nobody will write the policy in Florida. So it’s take it in the shorts with USAA OR no insurance which is not a good alternative.

This insurance issue in Florida will come to a head soon. Many companies wholesale cancelling policies and getting out of the state altogether. One storm comes in and wipes out many billions in losses. I’m not in a floood zone and I’m a solid 5 miles inland from the nearest body of water.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I'm also with Amica, since 1990 when I bought a Porsche and they were the only ones who would insure me when I returned home from 6 years overseas. Now have our cars, homeowners and umbrella policy with them and receive dividend checks twice a year, the last 4 checks have been over $300. Plus, they're the only ones with downhome commercials... no lizards, no Flo, no Mayhem, no quarterbacks, etc. etc. Just real wholesome people.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1313 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post