SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floor jack recommendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floor jack recommendations Login/Join 
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

There's a huge difference between a floor jack and a jack stand. The recall was on jack stands, not floor jacks.

BTW, Harbor Freight is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Pittsburgh is a brand sold by HF.

No shit, thanks for the info had no idea that a jack and a stand were different. Roll Eyes

The point is that HF sold defective jack stands and replaced them with defective jack stands.

Read the post I quoted and commented on again before you roll your eyes. My comment stands.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Read the post I quoted and commented on again before you roll your eyes. My comment stands.

Considering I wrote it, yes...

Posts: 23464 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Considering I wrote it, yes...

Yes, I know it was your post. It doesn't make what I said any less valid. You went on about HF recalling floor jacks when the recall was on jack stands. Either you can't read or you don't know the difference.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I replaced my old one with a new one from Northern Tool, 3.5 ton. My advice is avoid HF and buy more tonnage than you think you will need, more is always better for vehicle lifts, like a gun safe, you'll be glad you sized up just for the hell of it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have a Craftsman 3 ton that is going on 10 years now and still working great.
I will likely replace it with the HF one that PowerSurge linked. The Craftsman only has about 18” of lift and not enough without using a wood block on my Expedition

So my Craftsman finally took a dump!!! Two weeks ago doing the suspension it was just not acting right.
Today it officially died. I guess I could try a rebuild kit but I need more lift than it offers.

So my first thought is the 3 Ton Super Duty Daytona.
$200 for a low profile that will also work on my Mustang but provides 23” of lift for the Tundra.

Though in the past year or so this thing called the Pro Eagle has come blazing on the scene.
https://www.proeagle.com/colle...ig-wheel-jack-kratos

$400 for a 2 Ton and $469 for 3 Ton.
Interestingly enough they suggest the 2 Ton for anything smaller than an F250
This would be quite helpful as I can take it on the trail will me if I were to get a flat. Can’t do that with the Daytona.
Though for the extra $250 I am sure I can come up with an off-road solution. I don’t think the Pro Eagle will work for my Mustang.
I am waiting to hear if it is made in the United States which I doubt as it would likely be plastered all over the website.

Someone posted a Norco Industries jack as being made in the states and their 3.5 Ton is $364 but only provides 20” of lift so I am back to needing a block or adapter. Which technically one needs with the pro Eagle for the advertised 28” but the adapter is included.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I just used this one to do the brakes on our minivan: HF Daytona Super Duty. It's the one with the 3 year warranty. I also used it to do the brakes on my stock hieght F350. I would imagine you could put a piece of 3/4" plywood under it if you needed to use it on dirt. I'd make a frame around the perimeter of the plywood to keep the jack from sliding off.

That Pro Eagle jack looks interesting, but only offers 5" over the Daytona unless you pay $70 for a 8" or 15" extension as you noted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10959 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big Harbor Freight shopper but I have the big Daytona and it's been great. Two or three years now and it's puts my Tundra up.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
A Pittsburg 3 ton Aluminum Rapid Pump Racing jack from HF has worked like a champ for several years for me. No leaks so far. It is used regularly for the cars and pickups here. It isn’t quite low enough to get under the boys lowered Civics. We just drive them up on a couple of short pieces of 1X12 and the jack slips right under. We made a little platform of doubled 3/4 plywood with a 3/4 X 1 rail around the edges for the times it is used on gravel or dirt.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Didn't read the whole thread. I have an old Craftsmen and a newer Harbor Freight because I needed a very narrow one to work with my (U.S. made) Jackpoint Jack Stands.

What I've noticed about the Harbor Freight Daytona. It lowers like a digital on/off. Very hard to get 5% or 10% open to allow it to ease down. It cracks to about 30% or 40% open. Not totally dropping the vehicle, but a damn fast lower that always has be trying to reel it back a bit immediately after cracking it. YMMV.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I've noticed about the Harbor Freight Daytona. It lowers like a digital on/off.

I hadn't noticed this with the model I have, but I hadn't been paying attention for it either. I used it again today and had no issue regulating the drop speed. The Odyssey land softer than Neil Armstrong landed on the Moon.

Posts: 10959 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My auto shop guys heartily recommend the Harbor Freight jacks. I just bought their 3 ton after my 45 year old Craftsman 2 1/2 ton died.

I'll likely rebuild the Craftsman but I don't have time right now, and can't afford to be without a floor jack.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12781 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Pro Eagle folks have failed to respond to my communications this week. Can find no mention of them being made in the states so I’ll not be spending nearly $500 with them.

Of course my luck the Daytona is up $30 in price from the other day.

————————————————

Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Harbor Freight for 15 years, not every day but far heavier use than most home owners. It works fine.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The Pro Eagle folks have failed to respond to my communications this week. Can find no mention of them being made in the states so I’ll not be spending nearly $500 with them.

Of course my luck the Daytona is up $30 in price from the other day.

I spent a lot of time looking at this stuff recently. My $0.02:

- Pro Eagle are "Designed in the USA" (We all know what that means). Their stuff looks nice and praised by off-roaders, but $$$. IMO: They are rebranding higher end HF or sourcing similar and outfitting it with some real nice bits and pieces, like the big off-road wheels, extensions, lift pads, handles etc. They do sell these pieces a-la-carte (For a Price). I believe a-lot of off road guys take some pride in rigging up their own versions.

- Heinne Warner (sp?) was purchased by a CHICOMM; 100% MIC and a-lot of rebranding, spend 10 minutes on amazon and you will see how similar a-lot of the stuff looks (like Napa Jack Stands).

- I've made light use of a HF 2.5 "Racing" (Aluminum & Steel) low profile for 8 years+ now. No problems, other than max lift of ~19". Almost went with the 3T, but min height was pushing the limit for my passenger cars and max height was only 7/8" more and weighed an additional 10 lbs. I would look carefully at the specs before deciding. No regrets or reservations with this unit. No fear using it for lifting or using it as back up to my jack stands (But no freaking way am I crawling under anything supported only by this $160 CHICOMM jack). YMMV: but I think the HF "Racing" jack was well worth the upgrade versus the all steel "Daytona" version. (Yes, the "Racing" open/shut valve has a narrow window you have to deal with)

- I just dropped $99 for 8" extension and locking lift pad from Pro-Eagle to upgrade my HF 2.5T "Racing" Jack. Will report back after testing. Seems less sketch then a chunk of wood between my jack and the frame or popping up on a piece of plywood

- I am ditching my HF jack stands: Exact replacements tbd still, but I am going with something with pins versus the paws that are giving me a bad feeling. Also looking for more than sheet metal held together (Under tension) by only welds. I may have to still use CHICOMM, but I am kicking it up a notch or three

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
https://www.proeagle.com/colle...jack-extension-00000

These are dope also, but currently only available with max <17" high

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a 3 ton, but happy so far with my 1.5t Pittsburgh Racing low-pro.
Huge improvement over my leaky Craftsman.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15334 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the Daytona 3 Ton Super Duty.
I got lucky and someone had not removed the recent sale price of $199 off the little comparison display sign so I got it for that.
Hopefully it suits well.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
- Heinne Warner (sp?) was purchased by a CHICOMM; 100% MIC and a-lot of rebranding, spend 10 minutes on amazon and you will see how similar a-lot of the stuff looks (like Napa Jack Stands).

Hein-Werner was reintroduced to market by Shinn Fu America in 2004. My 2 ton H-W jack is marked made in the USA and the website still says the H-W line is US made: http://heinwerner-automotive.com/

Posts: 924 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post