SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Premium gas VS No ethanol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Premium gas VS No ethanol Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
I like to keep a little fuel on hand for emergencies. I have 6, 5 Gallon Jerry cans I usually rotate out every fall buy filling my truck up with it.

I've been buying no ethenol gas and mixing it with stabil. I've had good results for a couple years now.

My question is, would using premium gas get me the same results? Ive heard in the past that premium doesn't have ethanol. Is this true?

The reason I ask is because premium is a little cheaper.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, just because it's premium gas doesn't mean it's ethanol-free.

"Premium" just means it's higher octane, generally 91 vs. standard 87. Octane and ethanol content are two independent things.

If the 91 octane premium gas is cheaper than the 87 octane ethanol-free gas, then that premium gas definitely contains ethanol.

You can find ethanol-free premium gas out there, but it's going to be more expensive than either normal premium gas or standard 87 octane ethanol-free gas.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ethanol is bad. If you stabilize it. Something like startron I think you would be fine. Even a regular unleaded to be honest. If storing you are going to need to use and additive even if buying EO.
There have been test that even EO isn't always ethanol free. To summarize. You will need to treat any of it. Not sure paying for EO is worth it.
If using for a two stroke engine or a boat motor I am all for buying EO. Not for storage for regular use. Use a quality additive and you should be good with regular, imho

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plenty of 87-89 octane real gas’s out there (depending on area)

Lots of places will dupe people to spend the extra for premium and real gas for nothing more than pure profit (often 93 has the lowest ethanhol blend anyway)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick with what you've been doing. Premium will phase separate and go bad before non-ethanol. The higher octane rating of premium doesn't slow that down. https://petroclear.com/resources/dont-be-phased.php https://petroclear.com/resources/dont-be-phased.php

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Quite a lot of Tier 1 gas stations have ethanol-free premium gas, although the lower grades aren’t. There will be a decal on the pump if the premium grade is ethanol-free. If you don’t see clear indication of no ethanol, assume it’s in there.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

My question is, would using premium gas get me the same results? Ive heard in the past that premium doesn't have ethanol. Is this true?
Not true. You can test for yourself with this. REV X E85 Super Tester Reusable Ethanol Testing Kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheaper yet is to just dump it in your vehicle every 4 weeks and refill the cans with fresh gas, no stabilizer needed, ethanol fuel will still be ok in that time period etc.

Premium gas with ethanol DOES take longer to break down.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Untreated non-ethanol gas will sit better than treated ethanol gas. Treated ethanol-free will last the longest (up to 2 years if stored properly).

I am lucky to have an ethanol-free pump just down the road. It's around $1 more per gallon, but that is all I will run in my gas cans and small engines.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Octane rating is just a measure of resistance to detonation, not of (imprecise but descriptive term) going "stale" over time. Also, premium gas can still have ethanol. It will say so on the pump. Non-ethanol should "keep" better in storage, but if kept in airtight containers indoors, either will last a year.

Recently (i.e., yesterday), I had occasion to repair a car that had sat abandoned and out in the weather for over a year with a quarter tank. Surprisingly, it fired right up and ran fine.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Cheaper yet is to just dump it in your vehicle every 4 weeks and refill the cans with fresh gas, no stabilizer needed, ethanol fuel will still be ok in that time period etc.

I'm too lazy for all that.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run no alcohol 87 gas in my mowers, toy hauler fuel station all implements some with stabil...the big thing is to make sure your fuel is coming out of a dedicated hose at the gasstation. the ones where they have 4 fuels being dispensed out of one hose means that you are getting 6/10 of a gallon of what ever was just sold. Makes a real big difference if your buying a gallon for your chainsaw..........not so much for a car fillup.

Posts: 450 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Ethanol is bad.
It is.
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
If you stabilize it. Something like startron I think you would be fine.
Things change, but, last I knew nothing would prevent ethanol-polluted gasoline from phase-separating.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Don’t let water in and ethanol won’t phase separate.

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post