SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Social Security max earnings before penalty question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Social Security max earnings before penalty question. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
$17,040 is the earnings allowed in 2018 before Social Security payments are reduced.

My wife is drawing SS now and still works. She will make more than that this year unless she retires this fall. It looks like it would be worth it to just eat the penalty because her working gets us health care. She is 63. If she retires we will have to buy Health Insurance off the street for two years.

Anyway, our question is... is there any way to reduce the amount of earnings that contribute to the max you can earn. Specifically, do 401k contributions count toward the 17,040 allowed earnings or are they exempt? Would upping her 401k contribution (a small number now) help reduce the penalty?

Thanks
TD

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are going through the same thing right now. I believe that the increased contribution will lower the SS amount. I am going to talk to my accountant on some other matters today or tomorrow. If this is not the case I will let you know.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Several people I know take several long vacations to reduce their income. I don’t know if they will let her keep her health care if she does that.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired at 61, so no personal experience. The SS site info seems to indicate this will be a wash?

Exempt Amounts Under the Earnings Test
"It is important to note that any benefits withheld while you continue to work are not "lost". Once you reach NRA, your monthly benefit will be increased permanently to account for the months in which benefits were withheld."

PDF

Posts: 428 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:
I retired at 61, so no personal experience. The SS site info seems to indicate this will be a wash?

Exempt Amounts Under the Earnings Test
"It is important to note that any benefits withheld while you continue to work are not "lost". Once you reach NRA, your monthly benefit will be increased permanently to account for the months in which benefits were withheld."

PDF

I have seen this and it is a plus but IF I understand it correctly, the monies withheld are indeed added back but prorated over your expected lifespan so yes you get it back... pennies at a time.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you live so it might vary a little bit. But I'm just a year younger and health care for my wife and myself is $3k per month (and that's with a 10K deductible). The health care issues dwarfs all other issues.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11010 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Several people I know take several long vacations to reduce their income. I don’t know if they will let her keep her health care if she does that.

She has asked for minimum hours to maintain coverage, 30 hr per week, they did not rule that out at some point but current staffing and demand doesn't allow for it, they say. She has trouble getting the random week off.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I don't know where you live so it might vary a little bit. But I'm just a year younger and health care for my wife and myself is $3k per month (and that's with a 10K deductible). The health care issues dwarfs all other issues.

Yup... And, no pre existing condition are covered either it seems.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I've delved into the SS rules, but as I recall, you can suspend your benefits and then reactivate down the road. This would increase the payments she would get when payments are reactivated. Of course that presupposes you don't need the ss income to make ends meet at this time.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My retirement goal is to be virtually ineligible for SS. (assuming it still exists in 17 years)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Damn, I thought my old plan was bad.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post