SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a good can opener
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a good can opener Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the wall-mount, crank-operated Swing-a-way, mounted on the end of a cabinet.
They're made in China now, but still seem to hold up. Take it down and clean it once in a while and you'll be all set.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Just found EZ-DUZ-IT on Amazon, made in USA clone of the Swing Away opener. Haven't gotten it yet, but am ordering to replace our cheap old one that has to be put on "just so" to open a can...

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Zyliss Lock ‘N Lift Can Opener gets my vote. A green one.
Nearly impossible to lose if you take it to a pot luck. Unless there is a thief about.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The wife brought home a pampered chef side cut type several years ago. It's been pretty good, you can't throw the lid in the can as I like to but, it's not failed.

In the past I simply bought the things 2 and 3 at a time. They last longer than the oil filter on my car and I think nothing of replacing that.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5236 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Another vote for Swing A Way

Swing-A-Way Can Opener
Choose the can opener that is selected by NASA for their Skylab Space Station.
Can opener has smooth, gear-driven operation.
At $7.99 how can you go wrong?

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c...205tMCFYe3wAodsN8FLw

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the Swing Away models, think I'll give one of those a shot. Two pages of responses about can openers Big Grin

Posts: 490 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Not cheap for a manual can opener, but my wife bought it anyway.

Easily the best, and easiest can opener I have ever used. Plus it is backed by Cutco's forever warranty.

https://www.cutco.com/products...24xxcse10moatpak3l0z

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
these have come down in price,
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wes...Opener-Black/6023587

we have had this one for four years.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55174 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I like the OXO one and have found all of their kitchen tools are pretty good quality.

+1. I have one and just think it's the best.
Last fall, I purchased this Oxo stainless steel can opener. Fantastic reviews on Amazon.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another P38 vote. Big Grin

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're using a set of EZ-DUZ-IT(I believe or similar) brand off Amazon. Very happy with them. This was after going through 2-3 OXO's from Walmart, that were useless, crapping out in a matter of weeks. I have other OXO products that are great but that particular
model/lot was not.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Since my swiss army knife is always in my pocket I use it. Works well and don't have to search the drawer.

Count me in the SAK camp.

+ Simple design. Not much that can go wrong w/ it
+ Able to sharpen the blade
+ Works on cans w/ dented or imperfect lips

- Requires more hand strength and dexterity
- Doesn't cut as clean of an edge
- Slower

I also have had good luck w/ OXO brand.

Posts: 3262 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Big Grin

Opened the post for this comment. Only disappointment is that it wasn't the first reply.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post