SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a good can opener
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a good can opener Login/Join 
posted
Looking for recommendations on a good quality, manual can opener. We've tried multiple different ones, from dollar store cheapies to $20 "ergo" models. Nothing seems to hold up. They all eventually start not gripping the can rim correctly or get dull and quit cutting. I prefer a manual one over electric just to save counter space, but if someone knows a kick butt electric one I'm open to that idea.

Posts: 490 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
This has outlasted my electric:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Swing-A-Way

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I got one of these a few months ago when my old one died. It's one of those that cuts around the side of the top instead of the blade going down into the can (no sharp edges). So far I've been impressed.

Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've used all kinds of manuals all my life, and always had a problem that the little wheel stops cutting about 1/2 way around the lid, and I have to stop and restart it.

I'm probably the last person on earth to discover this, but I did very recently learn that if you keep the can firmly on the countertop while you work the opener, it does the whole lid without failure.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the ones that cut through the side of the lid crimp. No sharp edges, cleaner, and it lets you reuse the lid for storage.

A couple of examples:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Goo...03C0CTTF02W2JTAE4Q9G

https://www.amazon.com/PowerLi...4H52QRYP867835KV237M

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Swing-a-Way

Had a wall mount for ~30 years. On the end of the cabinet over the stove, never have to look for it!
Rarely a misfire, and I expect sometimes then it is the cans fault.
They make a hand held as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Swing...ing+a+way+can+opener

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Since my swiss army knife is always in my pocket I use it. Works well and don't have to search the drawer.

Posts: 4444 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A fair amount of my culinary endeavors involve opening a can, and I consider myself to be a can opener expert – I've had many of them. This Rösle is the best one that I've ever used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...rgid=pla-83925559766

It leaves smooth edges on the can and top. And the cut-off top can be put back on the can to serve as a lid if you want to keep unused contents refrigerated.

The opener has an excellent pliers to pull the top off, but superfluous – I just put the nails of my three middle fingers into the cut seam and lift the top off that way. The opener always remains perfectly clean – no part of it touches the food.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We've had one of these for 7 1/2 years and love it. It still looks and works as new.

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I got one of these a few months ago when my old one died. It's one of those that cuts around the side of the top instead of the blade going down into the can (no sharp edges). So far I've been impressed.

Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener

Second. Had this for a year works great.

Posts: 1081 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The one I got from Ikea has worked well over the last year.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good, old Swing-A-Way. Been using them since earliest childhood memory, late '50's. Simple, effective, durable. I use one frequently. And, as henryaz mentioned, the can should rest on a solid surface as you use manual can opener.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Big Grin

Buy them by the dozen.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
As posted above "Swing-A-Way, mine is a #8, built like a tank and made in the USA, what's not to love about them.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We've been very satisfied with the Oxo Good Grips model here that replaced all the failed electrics we've tried:

$12 on Amazon.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Swing A Way

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the OXO one and have found all of their kitchen tools are pretty good quality.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I like the OXO one and have found all of their kitchen tools are pretty good quality.

+1. I have one and just think it's the best.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post