Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rain Gauge Login/Join 
posted
We recently had some landscaping done at our house. I have been watering the plants according to instructions. But when it rains, I do not know how much rain we have had. So I am looking for a rain gauge. I see them priced from about $10.00 on up. A lot of them look similar and are made in China. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with rain gauges? I would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thank You.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never paid more than $3.00 for my little glass tubes versions

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54661 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you place a straight sided glass or any vessel in an area that the rain is not deflected you have a rain gauge. No need to purchase anything special, just measure what's in the vessel after a rain or your watering session.

Posts: 935 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farm stores or hardware stores should have some selection. They should be considerably less than $10. Most have a capacity of 6 or so inches. (Seldom necessary) They come in different shapes but seem to measure about the same. I set out 3, each different shape, and they seem to agree pretty closely. Keep track of whether you empty it after a rain or not so you don't count a rain twice.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
We can get 7" in a day so I wanted one with that capacity and I wanted a wider mouth to more accurately catch diagonal rain. Very happy with this Amazon one

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
We can get 7" in a day so I wanted one with that capacity and I wanted a wider mouth to more accurately catch diagonal rain. Very happy with this Amazon one

A straight sided vessel 4" in diameter or a straight sided vessel 4' in diameter, after a 5" rain, will both measure the same amount of water in inches.

Posts: 935 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^ Both of your examples are wide mouth so what was the point of your post?

The one I linked is 2.17" at the mouth and at that price point most of the ones for sale are less than 0.5" at the mouth.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^ Both of your examples are wide mouth so what was the point of your post?

The one I linked is 2.17" at the mouth and at that price point most of the ones for sale are less than 0.5" at the mouth.

I said nothing about price point, all I said was that width of a straight sided vessel doesn't change the measurement.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You've missed the point. The little 0.5" wide ones at the Big Box stores don't accurately measure rain when it's raining diagonal. The wide mouth ones do and I provided a link to a 2.17" width rain gauge that is the same price point as the 0.5" wide ones.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You've missed the point. The little 0.5" wide ones at the Big Box stores don't accurately measure rain when it's raining diagonal. The wide mouth ones do and I provided a link to a 2.17" width rain gauge that is the same price point as the 0.5" wide ones.

You are 100% correct and I've missed the point by a mile or more ! This is truly your day.

posted Hide Post
Tator that's a doozy .
Now I am wondering about shapes and liquids.

Posts: 54661 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Tator that's a doozy .
Now I am wondering about shapes and liquids.

I agree, doozy. Why does the direction of the rain matter?

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does the direction of the rain matter?
The reasons are:
  • that a rain drop is about 1/8" of an inch wide. If it's falling straight down then not much problem getting in even the crappy narrow ones at the big box store (still the statistics issue in next bullet). However, when it's windy and coming down at an angle then geometry starts to limit the amount of rain drops getting through a narrow opening.
  • Statistically speaking, rain gauge size determines the repeatability and also the accuracy of a rain gauge. The larger the opening, the lower the statistical error in measurements in real-world applications. For example, the 2.17" wide rain gauge has 18.9 times more surface area than a 0.5" rain gauge making it more likely to reflect actual rainfall on my lawn.

Last summer, we had a pretty bad drought and the rare times rain went through it was more or less individual clouds only hitting a small area. Numerous times the front of my neighborhood would get rain and I'd get zilch a mile away. Made it impossible to trust the official rain gauge for Houston which is 10 miles away.

Might as well get an accurate rain gauge if you're going to spend $10 and use it to determine whether or not you're going to run your sprinklers. Frankly, running the sprinklers costs me about $10 each time and if I received sufficient rain I won't run my sprinklers. Most wide opening rain gauges cost $17 to $40 so that's one of the reasons I recommended the $10 one I linked. Being able to install it 2 different ways (stake or screwed onto side of something) is nice too.

Do you have to spend $10 to measure rain? No, assuming it doesn't blow away you could use spare bucket and stick a tape measure in it.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    That’s about as accurate and concise an explanation of the workings of a rain gauge as I’ve heard.

Tks for that.

Now, I want a rain gauge! I could use one here in Florida.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    How about a 5 gal bucket and a stainless steel ruler glued to the inside? Waterproof glue, of course.

Posts: 1180 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Saluki
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tsmccull:
    How about a 5 gal bucket and a stainless steel ruler glued to the inside? Waterproof glue, of course.
    buckets are tapered otherwise they would not nest. Parallel sides are important.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My rain gauge might be off by .1 now that I think about it. I am now going to have to rethink my entire watering strategy. Just wow.

Posts: 3926 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    What would this rain gauge look like ?

At 16 inches tall.
    I want the bottom 8 inches to show 10ths of an inch increments up to
    The 5 inch mark. (8 inches up the tube)
    Then from five inch to the 8 inch mark only 1/4 inch increments.( For the top 8 inches of the vessel)

Picture of Ironbutt
    posted Hide Post
    If accuracy is important to you, then there are a whole bunch of precision rain gauges on Amazon, starting at around $40, and going up from there. Otherwise, one of the $5 ones you can get at just about any hardware store will work just fine.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post