SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New car purchase, need opinions**purchase made**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New car purchase, need opinions**purchase made** Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Crunch numbers/see if you like them, but I liked, and ordered a Tesla Model 3. I ordered a performance version, and wanted it in white, so its taking awhile, but the "Long Range" ones should be around that same price point, and are quite economical.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Go with the Rav4 for reliability.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family is a Honda family, especially my parents, Honda's since the 80's. That being said they have both the CRV and the RAV4 and much prefer the RAV4. They live in Springville Ut

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I like Toyota's also. But the Rav4 in the first
year of a redesign. So for me that is a no go.
For me I would put Subaru first, then Honda then Kia. No real first hand experience on any. That is just how I would evaluate those on your list. Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I like Toyota's also. But the Rav4 in the first
year of a redesign. So for me that is a no go.
For me I would put Subaru first, then Honda then Kia. No real first hand experience on any. That is just how I would evaluate those on your list. Good luck.

With Toyota it won’t be a problem. Toyota sells over 400,000 of them a year for a reason. No way is the KIA or Subaru made better than Toyota.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Toyota Rav 4- my son has the hybrid- loves it.
If it’s power and acceleration, add a Pedal Commander. My ride is the Tacoma. The Pedal Commander makes it a rocket in sport mode.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
For long term reliability and resale value I’d go with the Rav4. There’s reason so many people hold onto them for 15+ years

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife has a fairly new CR-V. Hers is the Touring model with 1.5 liter direct injected Turbo engine. Plenty of power and she averages right around 32 mpg. She loves it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just ran our 2016 Outback up to KC and back - stable and comfortable, and 30mpg at 75 mph in the rain!

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would look at the Mazda CX-3 as well.

Mazda's are great well built cars, fun to drive and with good performance, and in many ways now better than than the comparable Toyota or Honda.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Decide if you can live with a CVT tranny or not. If not, Honda is out.

I hate them for that...

I’ve been bouncing around WY for a week in an AWD Hyundai Kona. Not bad..

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Decide if you can live with a CVT tranny or not. If not, Honda is out.

I hate them for that...

I’ve been bouncing around WY for a week in an AWD Hyundai Kona. Not bad..

You are right. I was concerned about that Constant Velocity Transmission when we bought her car. A tranny primarily run by belts and not gears was, well, different. It takes some getting used to but it's not new technology and her car has over 36000 miles now and it has always shifted smoothly. So, I really have no complaints.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Reads Much,
posts little
Picture of RetiredRanger
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Mazda CX-5. The fit and finish will make you think you’re in a premium vehicle.

Just another REMF

Posts: 28 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife will be getting a new car this Fall. She likes the way her Forrester gets around in bad weather & handles in general, but I think she's going to be looking at the Outback this time around. With the exception of replacing the exhaust system a couple years ago, the Forrester has been trouble free.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
My wife picked up her third Rav4 just yesterday and we got hr the hybrid. It was only $800 more than the gas engine only model and gets 40ish mpg. Very nice truck and the first two she had were flawless.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have a 2017 CR-V with the 2.4 engine, 38k miles so far with zero issues.

I’d lean Toyota or Honda myself, sounds like Subaru reliability is at a high level now too.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
One of our cars is a Rav4. Great 4 door car and the quality speaks for itself. In my area, you see a bunch of Scubaroos on the road. So the fact they are still on the road, has got to tell ya something about durability. We see a bunch of CR V's on the road too. The CR V seems to be popular among postal delivery personnel too!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter has a RAV4 hybrid for a couple years and loves it.

Wife has a 2015 Forester and loves it.

You would not go wrong with either one in my opinion.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
We just purchased a 2019 CRV Touring model.

Can't speak highly enough of it.

THe 1.5 turbo engine gets good gas mileage without feeling too sluggish (you aren't driving a sports car, so don't expect it to feel like one).

Pros:

Lots of great features, great use of interior and cargo space. THe back seats can actually be used by adults and the car would be comfortable for 4 adults and gear. When folded down the area provides a LOT of cargo space, and level space. Hands free rear hatch door is nice. The interior feels nice and not "cheap" like the lower model small SUV's we looked at. Good audio system, good backup camera, good navigation. Dual climate zones and rear blowers as well. Has a lot of safety/automatic driving features.

Cons: Has a lot of safety/automatic features (but you can turn them off)

I was very impressed with the Honda and my girlfriend, who was a happy Nissan owner and wanting another Nissan, quickly converted to the CRV over the Nissan.

We replaced a Nissan Juke/Kick which by the technical sense was classed as an "SUV" it had less useable cargo space than my Civic SI and despite being billed as a sporty car and having a turbo engine was somehow slower than my Civic Si...

I"m so jealous of the girlfriends car that I want to trade in my perfectly good Si with 36k miles on it for another one.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me and I"ll ask her your questions or let her reply to you.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RetiredRanger:
Take a look at the Mazda CX-5. The fit and finish will make you think you’re in a premium vehicle.

I agree. I've been driving a current generation Mazda 6 with the 6mt for 4.5 years. It's been very reliable and great on gas, not to mention a great handling everyday-commuting car.

Their new turbo engine 2.5L (though may be only available in some higher trims) is an excellent performer, tuned for higher torque in the lower rpm range -- ie the place where people drive, vs higher strung I4s that have to be revved so high to get into the power band.

My Mazda 6 has the naturally aspirated version of the engine and it does well in its own right.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post