SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Franco Columbo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Franco Columbo Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Oh man. He was a legend. Him and Arnold in Pumping Iron were great. I think it's time for a rewatch.

FRANCO COLUMBU
2X Mr. Olympia
DEAD AT 78

8/30/2019 11:24 AM PT

Franco Columbu, a former Mr. Olympia and one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's closest friends, has died.

Franco died Friday, with reports out of Italy saying the legendary bodybuilder lost his life in an incident at sea in his native Sardinia.

Arnold said goodbye to Franco with a heartfelt message ... writing, "I love you Franco. I will always remember the joy you brought to my life, the advices you gave me, and the twinkle in your eye that never disappeared. You were my best friend."

Franco won Mr. Olympia way back in 1976, the year after Arnold retired from the famous bodybuilding competition. Franco won again in 1981, the year after Arnold's comeback win.

In addition to his success as a bodybuilder, weightlifter and boxer, Franco also had a long career acting on TV and in movies.

One of Franco's most famous movie moment was in the 1977 documentary, "Pumping Iron" ... when he lifted a car to help the driver escape a tiny parking spot.

Franco also appeared in a string of Schwarzenegger movies in the 1980s ... including, "The Terminator," "The Running Man," and "Conan the Barbarian."

Franco and Arnold met in Munich 54 years ago, and instantly became pals ... in later years, Franco was known as Arnold's squire, and Arnold always told people Franco was the strongest man he ever knew.

Franco is survived by his wife, Deborah, and their daughter, Maria. He was 78.

RIP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...nold-schwarzenegger/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30493 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the greats of bodybuilding during the golden age. He had a wonderful beautiful physique unlike the freaks of modern bodybuilding and was also very strong pound for pound stronger than many people much bigger than him. He will be missed. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3074 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
He had a wonderful beautiful physique unlike the freaks of modern bodybuilding and was also very strong pound for pound stronger than many people much bigger than him. He will be missed. God Bless Smile

That's a fact. Guys like him, Arnold, Ferrigno, Frank Zane...these guys--though extremely muscular and big--looked good. Not freakish at all.

Franco Columbo was amazingly strong, especially for his size.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30493 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He definitely had the best upper pec development in the history of bodybuilding and Dr. Franco Columbu was also an outstanding athlete, having been a national boxing champion in Italy before embarking on his bodybuilding career.

As a chiropractor, he was a well-educated man as well.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Can’t believe that he drowned. Such a charismatic guy.

RIP Franco.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Can’t believe that he drowned. Such a charismatic guy.

RIP Franco.

What I was able to read indicated that he had a massive heart attack while swimming.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
He was always one of my favorites.

Posts: 3478 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Stories like this, that involve drowning, always get to me.

I remember learning that Randy California (nee Wolfe), guitar great, Jimi Hendrix protege, and leader of the band Spirit, had drowned in a riptide off the coast of Molokai in 1997, saving his son. His son lived, but Randy was pulled under. Argh!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
No one had the lats or pec development of Franco. The 1981 Olympia was a farce but he was absolutely one of the greats. When I saw the news yesterday it was one of those gut punch kinda things.

Posts: 13754 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy was a mass monster before the term really caught on. He was amazingly huge for his height. Sad story.

Posts: 6925 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
He and Arnold had an amazing work ethic. He was Arnie’s best friend.

They both came to this country with nothing. Body building in the 60s was no guarantee for anything. As a kid, I was inspired by both of them.

RIP, Franco.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Amazing and sad to see the relationship he and Arnold had. What a beast and yes he was ahead of his time in fitness and nutrition.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Damn. I remember watching that as a kid.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post