SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fuel for Coleman Lanterns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel for Coleman Lanterns Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Love those old Coleman lanterns...I have some from the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s....you get the idea

Posts: 12 | Location: Ashland, Ohio | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
A few drops of oil in the hole for the pump rod to soften and seal the leather gasket helps too.

Behold, the Coleman Collector website. http://intlccc.net/

Dads lantern disappeared but I have the two burner stove.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My recollection (from my camping days in the 1970’s) is that white gas IS unleaded gas. Nothing special, just what we called “unleaded” before it was fashionable to help the environment. Sure you can/could spend a couple of bucks a gallon for Coleman fuel, or you could spend 35 cents/gallon for white gas.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Spent a lot of Scouting camping trips at night bathed in the light of Coleman lanterns

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of those old Colemans. Fuel is available in most outdoor sporting goods stores/REI (although I don't buy from them any more). With the advent of propane lanterns and now Lithium battery lanterns I don't want to use them any more.

BTW, I have that Svea 123 as well, they had been $15 and the price went up to $20 right when I bought it: 1972. Mine doesn't look like that anymore but still works fine and I use Coleman Fuel as well when I do use it. Been using Jetboils and MSR (have 3 or so) these days when I go camping alone, propane Coleman when with wife.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of those as well. Burn off the mantle before lighting it up and it seems to be a little tougher. They are very fragile. I also fire mine off several times a year and let them run for a bit. For some reason they don't like sitting unused for long periods of time.

I love these things. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5045 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
I still have mine that I bought in 1983. Still works!

1983? It is practically new. We have one that dates to 1966 or so. Still works as good as new. They were red then.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
We had a set at our cabin that had isen glass. Both stolen.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
be sure to buy a reasonable supply of new mantles....

you may get one that lasts for many outings, but more commonly, having turned to ash in the shape of a mantle at first firing, it will collapse with any sudden movement.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info.

Riley - I’ll be sure to do that before I fire it up.

Signewt - just found out about the fragility of the mantles.

I also picked up this little LP lantern for $6
But upon lighting the mantle blew out a hole.
It still ran but not as bright.
But even with some new mantles it’s still way less than what they’re selling for.
Also I just returned from picking up some Coleman lantern fuel & y’all weren’t kidding ... $12.99 a gallon. Eek

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, the Peerless mantels do OK and you can buy oddles for a respectable price occasionally. I bought 48 for $30 back in the day off ebay.
(Peerless 2C-HG Mantles for Coleman Two Burner Lantern 12 packs of 4 mantle)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
White gas is pure gasoline with zero additives. It is not current unleaded gas as it is full of additives and ethanol. Use the Coleman fuel.

343 - Never Forget

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have green ones that are supposed to use Coleman fuel. I also have a grey one that is rated "dual fuel" that is supposed to be ok for unleaded gasoline. I used gasoline once, put it away, and it never worked right again.

I stick with white gas now exclusively. It stores for 20 years in the can and is still as nice as a brand new can. Even at $13 a gallon, you just don't use enough to make saving money by using unleaded an issue, compared to the headache caused from jellied gasoline in your lantern.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888: With the advent of propane lanterns and now Lithium battery lanterns I don't want to use them any more.

Until you're out in freezing and below temps, then white gas is king.

I was camping out in Joshua Tree in the Winter, temps were in the single digits in the morning and stupid me brought the propane. Roll Eyes Functional, yes, however, very slow, and very inefficient.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I still have a Coleman lantern and a 3 burner Coleman stove that I purchased brand new at a Montgomery Wards store in Summer 1977. Both use Coleman fuel. I worked there as a summer job during College.

I’ve not used them in many many years. I should get them out and get them going again.

Thanks for the postings, I’ve enjoyed them.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I did have to throw one into the surf one night as something went wonky and it was engulfed in flames. Fished it out, cleaned it up and used it at a later date.

If it won't pump up replacement parts are available.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
We had a power outage this last winter. I dragged the old Coleman lantern out of the basement and started it in my dinning room. Cranked it up and let it burn for about 6hrs until power was restored.
It did a great job of putting out light but, In my insulated home the heat it put out kept the dining room and our bedroom warm.
I forgot how useful it was. I ordered a bunch of spare mantels and will buy some more fuel to stock pile.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post