SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Built a welding cart today…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Built a welding cart today… Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I had bought the welder. Picked up a hood and a bottle. It was time to build a cart. My friend gave me a bunch of scrap steel he had (pretty nice as far as I’m concerned) and I had a shelf from my grill I had never used. Lots of cutting, some welding, and a little grinding and my cart is complete, aside of adding the bottom shelf.

I used to weld a lot when I was in my early 20’s. Started off with miles (yes miles) of iron fencing, six foot tall spear top. The landscaping company owner next door to our fence shop would come by and have us fix some of his stuff. We ended up doing quite a bit of fab work and a lot of repair work in Rowlett TX.

This was nice because it reminded me of what I like and what I don’t. I hate 16 gauge. Anything thicker is fine. I used my chop saw with a finish blade for wood, and it cut everything for the cart, aside of the solid cold rolled handle/cord minder.

I need to buy a saw designed to cut metal.

I’m quite happy with most of my welds. Some of the 16 gauge blew holes and I had to repair that. I dislike hole filling just as much as I remember.

All in all it was a fun day. I do need to buy a jacket as I have one hell of a good arc flash burn on my arms.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Nice job. Looks good.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I always thought welding was a neat thing to do. I actually bought a wire welder from Home Despot probably 10 years or so ago. Used it for a while (never got good at it), and now I don't, as it's in New Mexico and I'm in South Carolina.

As fate would have it, I have a minor welding project I'd like to do - basically weld a piece of steel plate to an 11 gauge rectangular piece of tube steel. Perfect job for what I have. I figured it was a quick easy job, so I called a few places locally to see about having it done. Cheapest was about $300-400.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Awesome job! The tank holder and the handle/cord wrap combo is nice. I like that it's simple and looks light. I kind of went the opposite direction with mine, but it's stout as hell.

My thread is here.

You going to paint, clear coat, or leave it? I went with clear coat. For cutting, I have a DeWalt metal chop saw. It's decent, but I'd like a horizontal band saw for more precise cuts. At least I have an 8" bench grinder now.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
Cheapest was about $300-400.

[Apologies to beancooker for the thread drift.]

Having just hired a technician with a welding background, I'd suggest looking into various manufacturing companies in your area. Pick one, get in touch with the maintenance supervisor and ask if someone on his team welds. Get in touch with that guy.

Naturally, there might be some reluctance from that person in terms of welding at work (liability and such), but in my [limited] experience I find that guys who are good at welding have welders at home and are open to small side jobs.

Good luck!

- - - - -

Beancooker, that cart looks great!

God bless America.

Posts: 13498 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Awesome job! The tank holder and the handle/cord wrap combo is nice. I like that it's simple and looks light. I kind of went the opposite direction with mine, but it's stout as hell.

My thread is here.

You going to paint, clear coat, or leave it? I went with clear coat.

I read your thread this morning. Notice the similarities? I also double checked my casters at HF this morning. Most of mine is over engineered. The handles and cable minder is all cold rolled solid steel. I could have used pipe, but… well, I had solid cold rolled and it was free.

I cheated out on the casters though. I figure when it’s a month I haven’t spent as much and the wife isn’t so critical of my purchases, I’ll take a look at some bigger casters. The gaps in my garage floor are similar to the Grand Canyon.

I had planned on painting, but the wife said it would look cheap. I’ll probably just clear coat it.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Haha! Nice. I thought it was hollow tubing. That should be pretty beefy.

I suppose looking "cheap" would depend on the color. The top shelf could be done with an accent color. Big Grin

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As far as paint, I have a wide selection of specialty MTM paint. I happen to have both the Hobart grayish beige, and the orange. With the black tray, it would be pretty cool colors, I think.

The wife spoke. She likes the rugged steel look. I’ll pick up some clear and give it a bath.

quote:
The “lol” thread

posted Hide Post
Question- why is the deck sloped?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. You have all kinds of neat skills, from thinly and quickly slicing garlic wafers to welding cold hard steel.

Hey, I’m not trying to be critical and I’m obviously not an expert. But I used to cart around high pressure gas canisters years ago. We used very stable dollys that held the canisters at an incline toward the cart handles. That way they wouldn’t be prone to tip over forward or side to side. Is your tank counterbalanced enough?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Welding is a skill I wish I possessed, looks good.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Solid question Konata; Yes. The tank is actually pretty light. Maybe 40 lbs? The welder is 90 lbs and the handles on the cart weigh at least 20 lbs. The rear wheels are mounted right under the tank. (I would have mounted them behind the tank to add stability, but cost drove me to a cheaper wheel).

Russ, the slope on the Cart is so when you’re welding at a table, the mig torch tube is straighter. Keeps your wire flowing smoothly.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
As far as paint, why not check to see how much it would cost to get it powder coated? Would give a durable finish.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
As far as paint, why not check to see how much it would cost to get it powder coated? Would give a durable finish.

I like the idea of powder coating. I live in a small town. There is one guy local that powder coats. His prices are very high. If I take it to Phoenix, two trips to Phoenix in the Jeep is over $100. Now the local guy isn’t so expensive.
Local guy does amazing work. I will give him credit.

If it were to be colored, I would paint it or powder coat it to match the welder. Two or three colors, grayish beige, orange and black. That would get really expensive if I was to powder coat three colors.

My wife likes to be involved in some of the things I do. It makes her feel like she’s part of the team. I also like it when she gets involved as she then supports things like me buying a welder and all the accessories.

She said she likes the bare steel look. She thinks it looks great. So I’ll pick up a couple cans of MTM clear and seal it up.

quote:
The “lol” thread

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I almost wrote "I find hole filling extremely satisfying." (Hey now!) Eek

But I do. I obviously don't want it to happen, like when I'm welding exhaust pipe. It's obviously easier, faster and a nicer looking job without, but there's something about the build ups and bridge building of the burn through repair that apparently I really enjoy. "Oh yeah, take that", I feel like I'm winning lol.

I recently spent about 45 minutes on an exhaust manifold heat shield/heat riser that really should have been taken off and thrown away. Many rust holes big and small. Several patches cut, shaped and welded in. MANY burn throughs and rust holes. And in the end, when the engine was reassembled, I ended up NOT hooking the heat riser back up anyway, so it was all for nothing.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Very nice. OSHA would have something to say about no kick back guard on your 4 inch. I do like those flap discs. They are the primary on my 4 inch at work.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did yourself proud...

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll repeat my comment used almost a year ago in PHPaul's welding table posting.

Weld-done.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post