SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Desktop question: Dual monitors or single wide screen?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desktop question: Dual monitors or single wide screen? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I use two and it's extremely handy for having two excel sheets open at the same time, or the forum on one and my work on the other

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Two monitors, one landscape mode, one portrait.

Great for gaming (landscape for game, portrait for browser/Teamspeak/misc) and work as well (landscape for spreadsheets, portrait for page-viewing docs, e.g.)

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
When I worked on Film or Still studio sets, I ran dual 30" Cinema Displays on my Mac Pro towers. It was very efficient and fun to show off! I still use a 30 at home but it is not the same. Dual is better.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
911boss has the best answer - count pixel width, divide by inches width to get pixels per linear inch, go with the best resolution. More detail, lower eyestrain, etc.

joel9507 has a good point about using each in different orientations. I have two at work, and both are always landscape though, so it's a personal choice.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Me at work:

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1565 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
At work I have triple 27" widescreens. I love it, but I need to recalibrate 2 of them and I'm lazy so I don't want to.

At home I have a 27" widescreen and a 19" box. It's not as much screen space as the work computer, but it's still pretty good.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
When I redo my setup again, I'm going to do three 24" wide screen monitors, mounted to the wall, given the current price point and quality of that size. Now if 27's come down in price....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
For inexpensive monitors, I find that 27 inches is a bit too coarse at normal desk distance. 1080P or HD sounds really good, but at arm's length a 27 inch monitor is too big as the pixels are so large. 24 inches seems to work better. Dell Ultra monitors are what I use at work, and I have four running all the time on a reasonably powerful graphics card.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Go double, or triple plus. Rest assured you will not regret it.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For certain situations, where several programs need to be seen simultaneously, I can see benefitting from dual or triple monitors. I have a big desk, and have tried dual (a 27" at 2560x1440, and a 24" at 1920x1200, the 24" in portrait mode).

However, in my case, not needing to see multiple programs at the same time, I find using a single large (not wide screen, but big screen) monitor to be the best, mainly because of OSX's ability to host multiple desktops on a single monitor (Mission Control). I maintain 5 desktops, each with its own set of programs, like one would do with multiple monitors. Switching desktops is a simple keystroke, or just click on the program icon on the Dock that you want to access. You can set your programs to open only on a certain desktop always, so even just opening one from scratch switches over to that desktop to open it. Desktop 1 is system monitoring, Activity Monitor, Console, and a terminal window. #2 is where I spend most of my time on the Internet, with email, browser, rss reader, and messages app. #3 is a file and remote system management, with the file manager (Path Finder), and 3 terminal windows, with ssh logins to 3 other machines, #4 stays blank most of the time, and is reserved as a palette for graphics programs to use the entire screen space, and #5 is my calendar, only.

I used to do this on a 30" at 2560x1600. Currently, I use a 32" at 3840x2160.

Desktop 1:

Desktop 2:

Desktop 3:

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I've got a pair of 24" Samsung. They are decent and they are inexpensive.

I should mention that I use a program called DisplayFusion to control my dual monitors. It works great to bounce things around.

https://www.displayfusion.com

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Okay. You win. I had a coworker who had 6 arrayed.

At least two monitors are the way to go. What I can add to this conversation though is that since I have a laptop, I got rid of my regular monitors. My laptop is 15.6" and I got a second laptop monitor that is also 15.6" with the same resolution. They don't have their own power plugs. They just plug into USB 3.0 or USB-C ports.

It's good enough for home use and I have the ability to be portable with two screens also. I copied this set-up from some CPA auditors. It didn't dawn on me until I saw it that there were portable laptop monitors.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20018 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
When I was a net admin I had an array of five... and they were all tube monitors. Didn't leave much desk space!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
At work two 24", at home one 28" 144hz G-Sync montitor. I don't need dual monitors at home for checking email and the occasional game of Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ oh that's not mine. I would like it, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I have 6 at work

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7918 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Two.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8367 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
If yes, IMO dual monitors are best because you can drag a window to a monitor and just click to maximize. With a single large display you have to position and resize the windows to your liking each time (unless there's as trick I don't know about).

With Windows 10 (and also on OS X using an addon) you can drag a window to the top edge of a monitor to maximize it to the whole screen, to one side edge of the screen to maximize it to that half of the screen, or to a corner to maximize it to that quarter of the screen. (This works even with multiple monitors - drag it gently to the edge between multiple monitors to do the maximize trick, drag it fast to move it past the edge to the other monitor.)

On Windows, for the half and quarter versions, you can then drag an interior edge of the window to move the "divider" between the halves/quarters of the screen. The OS X addon I'm using doesn't do that yet, just resizes individual windows.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post