SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Desktop question: Dual monitors or single wide screen?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desktop question: Dual monitors or single wide screen? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Currently I have a 22" single monitor and am thinking about upgrading. I have used dual monitors at my last job and it was handy, but now that I'm looking around I see the options for single extra wide screens as well.

For those that have used both, what is your preference?
Thanks

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Currently I have a 22" single monitor and am thinking about upgrading. I have used dual monitors at my last job and it was handy, but now that I'm looking around I see the options for single extra wide screens as well.

For those that have used both, what is your preference?
Thanks

Do you often have multiple applications/windows open at the same time that you like to run maximized and constantly on top? If yes, IMO dual monitors are best because you can drag a window to a monitor and just click to maximize. With a single large display you have to position and resize the windows to your liking each time (unless there's as trick I don't know about). There is an app you can use to divide the screen into sections of sorts that windows can reside in, but I stopped using it years ago because it didn't suit my needs. Might be something better now.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I have dual 22" for my Mac, which give my the mac screen plus 2 monitors. One screen has internet browser, one has "work" stuff, and the mac screen has e-mail. Love it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Double, all day everyday. A set of 22's, or 24's, and I'm not talking thugs and their wheels Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12930 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I was going to get dual monitors like I had at work, but ended up getting a 32" LG. Plugged into the HDMI, plenty of room to put stuff side-by-side and work on multiple things. I was concerned it would be too big sitting at it, but no problems. I really like it, my laptop seems small.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I recently compared the same options, I found that dual monitors gave you more overall resolution. The single wide are lower than two together.

Went with the dual

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Dual wide screen monitors.

Dual. Dual monitors are so handy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Depends on your budget, too. I've seen the extra wide singles going for as low as $150.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I use 3...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Oh ya hydra all the way!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Three, you need three.

Posts: 5226 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of 24" Samsung. They are decent and they are inexpensive.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Definitely go with 2 monitors.

This is an appropriate thread to mention this, but I use a program called Ultramon that provides another taskbar on the secondary monitor for everything you have open on the secondary monitor. It does a lot more but I'm really only about the task bar and easy switching of programs to one screen or the other.

Have a look, as it might be something some of you would be interested in.

JP

Posts: 2074 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dual 22" monitors for work is nice.

Posts: 2377 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I use three as well it's great. I had duals until I upgraded computers and figure out I could do three.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Double. Less expensive, more options, and if one of them dies on ya, you've still got the other.

they don't have to be identical, either. My second monitor is my 65" 4K TV

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
This is an appropriate thread to mention this, but I use a program called Ultramon that provides another taskbar on the secondary monitor for everything you have open on the secondary monitor.

I have used Ultramon for about fifteen years, now. Great program.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I use 3...

Me too. Two worked well...three is just awesome.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I want to use three but my three monitors are all different sizes. It'd look so ghetto.

posted Hide Post
At work, I have two. It's handy for having two screens of AutoCAD open when either copying items or checking drawings that have items that match,

At home, it's a 34" curved monitor for gaming. As mentioned before, the monitor company does provide an application that would divide the screen such that windows would "maximize" to certain layouts. I've not tried that yet, so I can't speak to its user-friendliness.

Posts: 590 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post