SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michelle Yeoh does not "identify" as Asian. She IS Asian
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michelle Yeoh does not "identify" as Asian. She IS Asian Login/Join 
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I love her. She was absolutely amazing in Star Trek: Discovery. . .

She made "Discovery". Any episode without her was lame. Big Grin

We can however not possibly discuss her without mention of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
^^^^^^^^^ It started with your truth or my truth
John 18:38

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've mentioned this before- with regard to their craft, I do not look upon actors in terms of their race. That is to say- as far as I'm concerned, Michelle Yeoh is not an Asian actress; she's simply an actress.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...910004884#6910004884
quote:
It's all about the "first black" (man/woman) to do or be something or other. The racists- the true racists- are really hung up on this kind of shit.

Remember when Halle Berry won an Oscar as Best Actress for her performance in 2001's Monster's Ball? The next day, the black gals I worked with were walking on clouds. I said I didn't quite understand, and they said "She's the first African-American woman to win that award!!" I'll tell you now the very same thing I told them then- I didn't see a black actress up there accepting the award; I saw an actress.

If I had gone further and said "What you're doing might be considered racism," the heavens would have fallen. One might as well shout into the wind.

I'd expand that African American or any other xxx-American. People need to get over this shit ASAP. Don't tell me that your skin color disadvantages you then use you ethnicity to define yourself.

We are all just Americans no need for any prefixes or hyphens.

It's 2023, not 1936.

I've been saying that to my buddy Rudy for years. He's 6ft 5in and looks like Thor - the real one, not the effete movie chap - and was born in South Africa. He's a red-head and a son of long line of Boer farmers. While plying his trade of architect in Eastern Cape, he met and married a lovely American girl. After a few years of watching the wind blowing in the wrong direction, they went back to the USA - this about thirty years ago. When folks comment on his endearing Afrikaner accent, he takes great delight in advising folks that he's actually Afro-American.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
How about, best actress. Best actor. Best student. Best employee. etc.

Makes me crazy that you need to sub categorize.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post