SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The new "US quarter.. Edited..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new "US quarter.. Edited.. Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Count me in the dead presidents clubs. Well, elected presidents anyway.

Count that quarter as another conversation starter. One thing that drives the left crazy is that Maya was a fervent believer in the 2nd amendment. Said she didn't carry but she always 'liked to have guns around' to defend herself from intruders.

Any conversation about this coin can be a reason to toss that fact into the mix. Generally, they hate this statement from her being discussed. Kind of like the 'judging a man by the content of his character not the color of his skin' MLK quote. They seek to purge it from history.

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I met Maya Angelou in 1999, at a Barnes&Noble bookstore in Winston-Salem, NC. She wasn't there for a book signing, she was just there with her entourage, perusing the aisles. I said "Miss Angelou," and extended my hand. She shook it and smiled. I said "I've read all of your books." She smiled the warmest smile you can imagine. Her bodyguards eyeballed me somethin' fierce.
Right out front of the bookstore was a limousine- driver at the wheel and an attendant standing next to an open passenger door, waiting for her to come out. The royal treatment.

Before you pass judgment on her, read some of her work.

In "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" she told the story of being raped by a friend of her uncle's when she was very young- 8 or 9 years old IIRC. He told her that if she didn't keep quiet about it, he would kill someone in her family. Her mother knew something was wrong with her child and took her to the hospital and when the doctors determined she had been raped, she was coaxed to tell the story.
Shortly thereafter, the man who had raped her was found beaten to death in an alley; "kicked to death," as it says in her book. She stopped speaking altogether, for months. "I thought my words had killed him," she said many years later. Powerful stuff.

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with Maya, but my question what is wrong with George Washington? Why can’t we leave what is our history alone?

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they are doing this because the women chosen have benefited society in some way and were not nominated chosen because it was "woke" like so many other things are..

I do not know to much about Maya Angelou but I do know quite a bit about The Wilma Mankiller.

Wilma Mankiller was the first woman elected principal chief of the Cherokee Nation and an activist for Native American and women’s rights.

I cannot speak or will not speak about the other coins because I am not familiar with the individuals but I think Wilma Mankiller is an excellent choice.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They chose her because, as my story indicates, she was/is considered royalty in the black community.

No, we don't need Maya Angelou on our currency, or Harriet Tubman, either, especially since it appears that Tubman's story has been heavily fictionalized. Try telling that to those who have canonized Tubman. You would be wasting your time.

However, this is the direction of the tide, and no one person can hold back the waters.

Something tells me Angelou would have liked that turn of words.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I cannot remember using a quarter for anything except when the washer broke and I had to go to the laundromat.
Grocery carts at Aldi

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's all about the "first black" (man/woman) to do or be something or other. The racists- the true racists- are really hung up on this kind of shit.

Remember when Halle Berry won an Oscar as Best Actress for her performance in 2001's Monster's Ball? The next day, the black gals I worked with were walking on clouds. I said I didn't quite understand, and they said "She's the first African-American woman to win that award!!" I'll tell you now the very same thing I told them then- I didn't see a black actress up there accepting the award; I saw an actress.

If I had gone further and said "What you're doing might be considered racism," the heavens would have fallen. One might as well shout into the wind.

Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I prefer dead Presidents on my coins.

You still have your dead president.

These quarters - just like the several special quarter programs previously issued - have the design on the reverse. George Washington remains on the obverse.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not for long. All those dead old white men owned slaves.

Lincoln will be OK, until one of these racists accidentally reads a history book and finds at that Abe was a Republican.

posted Hide Post
OK how about rich white guys who bid to have their likeness on coins? You know exercising our White Privilege.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Angelou spoke at my freshman year college commencement and I had to go as part of a class assignment. I was fine with it until she started in on white people, men in particular, needing to read poetry by black women if they ever hope to be considered cultured. This was 1990 and the left was already doing that shit. I’ve had a negative opinion of her ever since. Her fake snobby accent makes me want to go deaf.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's all about the "first black" (man/woman) to do or be something or other. The racists- the true racists- are really hung up on this kind of shit.

Actually the first black man to appear on US coin was Booker T. Washington in 1946.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...Memorial_half_dollar

This was followed by the George Washington Carver/Booker T. Washington half dollar in 1951.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...shington_half_dollar

What is unique about the GWC/BTW half-dollar is the reasoning behind its issue. “One of the reasons behind the Carver-Washington half dollar may have possibly been to oppose the spread of Communism among African Americans.” How’d that work out?

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Actually the first black man to appear on US coin was Booker T. Washington in 1946.
Maya Angelou was female.

I don't seem to be making myself clear these past couple of days.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Angelou spoke at my freshman year college commencement and I had to go as part of a class assignment. I was fine with it until she started in on white people, men in particular, needing to read poetry by black women if they ever hope to be considered cultured.
Notice that in my encounter with her, she did not speak to me. She was polite, but said not a word.

If that was anyone's problem, it was hers, not mine.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Well they forgot that Washington the slave owner is still on the front dominating the black woman! Lol. But seriously unless they change the front who gives a shit. They have had lots of different things on the back for some time now.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I can't even recall the last time I touched a coin in transacting commerce. I truly cannot. I'm betting several years.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like a collectable set of East African dictators with a chest full of medals. Coupled with breathless late night infomercials. Collect the rare Idi Amin,the rebel Robert Taylor and others!

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Angelou spoke at my freshman year college commencement and I had to go as part of a class assignment. I was fine with it until she started in on white people, men in particular, needing to read poetry by black women if they ever hope to be considered cultured. This was 1990 and the left was already doing that shit. I’ve had a negative opinion of her ever since.

Well of course she did, it's what being cultured means...

(Learning about other, surprise: cultures and perspectives.)

What do you think cultured means, otherwise? Enjoying some General Tso's chicken?

You cannot, in fact, be cultured without such things. It's literally impossible.

Some useful synonyms for Cultured: "cultivated, artistically aware, intellectually aware, artistic, enlightened, civilized, educated, well educated, well read, well informed, learned, knowledgeable."

It wasn't a cult she was trying to recruit you into, it was some ... poetry.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grocery carts at Aldi
^^^^^^^
No Aldi here. Got Food Giant Jerry Lees and Rouses. Oh and Walmart of course. The cart jockeys need employment as well.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I cannot remember using a quarter for anything except when the washer broke and I had to go to the laundromat.

I keep a Penny, nickel, dime and quarter in my turret adjustment toolkit.
Maya will confuse at first, looks like a Canadian coin, should be in the metric set.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post