SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cataracts. Who's had 'em repaired and are you happy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cataracts. Who's had 'em repaired and are you happy? Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I had an Intraocular lens implanted in my left eye in 1998, when I was 26. It's a distance lens. My right eye has good vision up close, reading, etc... The only time it is problematic is when I am working on a car, up close, and my right eye is blocked from what I am doing...My left eye can't focus up close. Not sure if that makes sense.

Anyway, it was not a big deal 20 years ago, and it shouldn't be a big deal today. You'll like the improved vision.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it done on my left eye, my only good one, and it only took about 40 minutes from the prep until I walked out of the office. Since I only have one good eye the Doctor makes we wear glasses to protect it.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The URL below has lots of info about accommodating intraocular lenses (AIOLs):

https://eandv.biomedcentral.co...86/s40662-017-0077-7

I haven’t had cataract surgery, but it’s likely in my future, so I keep up with the state of AIOLs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9007 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your surgery. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Had both eyes done, Aug. and Dec. of '04 and am happy with results. Depending how bad your's are you will probably see much clearer.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:

I quit shooting handguns for quite a while before getting the surgery. Couldn't focus on the target and couldn't see both front and rear open sites at the same time. What a difference.

THAT is what I like hearing about!

Eponym also said:

" I still wear bifocals (with transition lenses) full-time. My handgun aim has improved because the targets look sharper."

And there we have it, improved shooting!

Thanks for the encouraging words.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Had both eyes done years ago, they are not what they were when I was younger, but still can out shoot most folks with handgun or rifle. Be sure and have someone drive you, I could not have kept my pickup between the bar pits if I had been driving. Now about can even read without glasses but a little better off with them.

Good Luck!!

Posts: 2402 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bonnie had it done ( both peepers)
very happy , indeed.

colors are 50% better

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I got 'em, one in each eye. Wife had both eyes done, but she is not really a shooter. My procedures are scheduled for 2 different days in April.

Fortunately, my surgeon is a hunter and hand gunner, so he understood my concerns.

I want to hear from you folks that have had the procedures done. Are you happy with the results and did it help with (especially) hand gun shooting? Any help with focus on scopes?

Smile I asked the surgeon if he could get me one for my right eye with a mil dot reticle, but he said "No" Smile

Unless you are considering monovision where they tune one eye for distance and the other for near range so you don’t have to wear reading glasses then there probably isn’t anything to worry about as far as vision goes. Did your doc say you might need reading glasses after the surgery? Did he discuss secondary cataracts they may have to correct with a laser 3 or so months after surgery? If no you might ask. They say it’s a low occurrence thing but my surgeons waiting room was full of post op patients getting the secondary cataract cleared off the periphery of their new implants, including me. Google secondary cataracts if curious.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yes we discussed the potential post op need for reading glasses. My wife had to get one zapped with the laser.

Three main future concerns for me, Iron Sights, Red Dot sights and rifle scopes. I have found myself only shooting my scoped or red dot weapons. Iron sights are okay, but the ones with optics have recently been much more enjoyable.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had both eyes done last springs. I was given an option of "basic" lenses vs "premium" lenses. With the premium lenses "most" people will not need glasses for reading or distance. There is about a $8000 difference. They encouraged me with my eye sight to take the premium lenses. No insurance so I was on the hook for the total bill about $14,000

I pick the premium lenses. Did the surgery on one eye, waited 2 weeks and did the other eye.

Amazing difference in color and how bright every thing is. Prior to the surgery I was fairly close to stop driving due to impaired vision. The long distance vision is great and I can see better than any time in my life. It has changed my life.

Close up vision is different story. I was told that I "probably" wouldn't need glasses ever again. Unfortunately that isn't what happen. Due to work & lifestyle I now wear reading glasses nearly 100% of the time. Pistol shooting has required an adjust to becoming a point shooter. Without reading glasses my accuracy is not good. The front site is just outside of being in focus. Computer screens are generally ok, but just slightly not quite there without glasses.

They have told me that some adjustments could be made, but no more surgery for me. It was painless, but I'm not doing that again.

Would do the surgery again, but doubtful that the premium lenses would be selected.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both eyes done last year. I went with distance lenses in both eyes for driving. It made a big difference in every day life. Everything is clearer & brighter. The Dr. said that I would still need reading glasses and he was right. I picked up several cheap reading glasses in various strengths to experiment with for pistol target shooting. I found one that keeps the f. sight in focus. Both ops went smoothly. I only wish that I had done this sooner.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both eyes done. I don't like putting drops in my eyes so I was nervous when thet did the first eye. Not so much on the second. Best move I've made. No more reading glasses.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I had mine done about 4 yrs ago. I paid a little extra for the premium lenses also. They did one eye one week and the other one the next. I went from being legally blind without my glasses to not having to wear any glasses at all. It was well worth the money. Cousin Vinny, PM me if you want and I'll tell you who did my eyes. He is one of the best in this area.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
intra ocular lenses in both eyes. Vision is 20/20 now in both eyes...20/15 with reading glasses. Big Grin

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine done in 2016. Frankly I don't know what was done exactly. The Doctor had done my wife, mother and other family members, so I just went with his recommendations. I explained that I enjoyed shooting, so he tailored the procedure with that in mind.

After the surgery I kind of had to learn to shoot all over again, getting used to the new eyesight. But after a couple of months I was back to my usual less than stellar performance.

I had worn glasses since childhood, and now I can see both distance and close, except I need reading glasses to read medicine bottles. Since everything is so much brighter, I need sunglasses. I need safety glasses for shooting and moving hay. So instead of one pair of prescription photogray glasses, I now have twelve pairs of glasses stashed in various places. But loosing bifocals is priceless!

I am very happy. Good luck to you, sir.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post