SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawn irrigation. What is the impact on your water bill?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn irrigation. What is the impact on your water bill? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I live on a lake and was wondering if they can plumb the system to use lake water?

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I live on a lake and was wondering if they can plumb the system to use lake water?

Yes, my dad used to do that for some customers in Fla. runs an intake into the lake (with a strainer) and run the system off a 1/2 house pump.

He would tie the intake end onto a concrete block and walk into the pond until he was shoulder deep and set it down-keeps the intake off the bottom.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

In my central Texas yard, I water every other day for no more then 15min in a zone…the dirt here is mostly dark brown clay and it runs off quickly. My yard is 5000 sq feet. My water and sewer are from the city and it’s not been over $130 In The last three years. The high months are in the summer when it’s hot and I water the yard…I don’t sprinkle between nov to may.

My bill includes sewer fees and I can’t break that out unless I get another meter for just the sprinklers, and at $1000 for the install from the city- I can wait

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a consensus that it was either really expensive or nothing to worry about. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get a "pool meter" or whatever you call them to see what goes out the sprinkler.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Obviously the cost is related to water rates and the volume you need to keep the lawn up.

Down here we're restricted to two days, but no limit on time per zone, however there is a reasonable limit of time for proper watering.

Some months its like the Sahara, others are Rain Forest Wet. I don't see the water bill as being excessive when we water, but it can go up into the low $100's per month when it's dry or I put in new sod.

Other than that twice a week, 2 hours of run time, 4 zones, close to 50 sprinklers, some rotators most spray, probably $45 a month of my bill

Posts: 23568 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have 11 zones that get water for 15 minutes each, that makes for 2 3/4 hours total per watering.

On average it tacks on $100 bucks a month to my water bill. I like a nice green lawn, to me it's worth it. My neighbor however says he's not eating his lawn, so he lives with a brown, burned up lawn if we do not get rain. I haven't had to water often so far this year.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post