SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car detail guys....best water spot remover? Update P.2: Solved
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car detail guys....best water spot remover? Update P.2: Solved Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I am thinking my next step will be a compound followed by a polish, wax and sealant.
Yep. When water spotting is bad, that often times is the only way to fully remove them.

And that shampoo you're using is what I use on my vehicles. Its a very good product, easily found locally, and not too expensive.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a car polish, not a polishing compound, that is too abrasive.

Zaino makes a polish just for the purpose of taking those type spots out. It is not however, an easy task and an orbital polisher is pretty much required.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/images2/Z-PC.jpg

Do what you can with this and then wax it. Set it out in the hot sun. Sometimes etchings , like from bird shit, will self correct in the sun.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Build a garage or get you sprinkler guys to adjust the spray.

I am considering getting a ceramic coating put on my car, expensive but it sheds water super fast. Expensive though and you paint needs to be scratch free and the prep to do that is the actual expensive part. I've never done it before, but want to try it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Build a garage or get you sprinkler guys to adjust the spray.

I am considering getting a ceramic coating put on my car, expensive but it sheds water super fast. Expensive though and you paint needs to be scratch free and the prep to do that is the actual expensive part. I've never done it before, but want to try it.

Keep in mind the ceramics only last 2-3 years. SO when you figure in the price, I just couldn't justify it. I get 6 months out of wax/polish on my expedition, and well it's cheap and takes me 2 hours to do.

Sprinklers are easy to adjust, there usually is a small flat head screw in the top that you can back out to lower flow and range of them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I've never done it before, but want to try it.
My advice on that is be very, very, careful. 'Real' ceramic coatings are not simple to apply, and if you screw up, you're stuck with the result for a long time. I've played with what I call 'consumer' ceramic coatings, those that are far easier to apply, and that's as far as I'm willing to go thus far.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: Mission Accomplished!

Found a product that really works on stubborn water spots:

Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover
It's an orange gel that goes on like a wax - then buff it off, neutralize it with quick detailer or soap and water, then dry. I was skeptical because I don't love all the Chemical Bros products I've bought, but this one really works.

It really works:

Sorry for the broom handle in the picture but the left side is untreated and the right side is treated.

Finished the whole side of the car, then used Jet Seal followed by Butter Wet Wax to hopefully make the spots easier to remove in the future.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post