SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New air filter in Tacoma gets .5 mpg gain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New air filter in Tacoma gets .5 mpg gain Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
2017 Tacoma with 30,000 miles. I figured it was time for an air filter change. I can’t believe the improvement in mpg. I also changed the cabin filter- yep it needed changing.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I went with a K&N air filter on my 2016 Taco. I haven’t bothered to calculate any mileage increase, but I like that I can clean it out here in dusty NM.

Though I did hear that adding a TRD Pro sticker adds 0.75 horsepower. Wink

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Heck anymore with FI and O2 sensors I'd think a dirty air filter would restrict maximum power and in the process improve mpg? Good to change them both though and it reminds me I need to check when I last changed mine.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Doesn't surprise me. Like flesheatingvirus, I'm also in a place that's dusty (El Paso, TX) and our air filters get changed quicker than average.

As frequent as we change them here, I would've probably been better off with a K&N.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to use and be a proponent of K&N and other similar oil&foam type filters until I heard about "dusting" and did some reading on research done between oil&foam and paper filters. I'd recommend staying with OEM, or equivalent, paper air filters - especially in dusty environments.

This post is not meant to start a war with the oil&foam filter supporters, but merely to let those that don't already know that research between the two types of air filters is out there and it would be in their best interest to seek it out then make up their mind.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.5 MPG is such a small number that could be influenced by many things such as air temperature, fuel quality, driving style, road terrain, how full did the tank get filled, car computer or actual arithmetic etc. It may be real or it may not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gene Hillman,

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
.5 MPG is such a small number that could be influenced by many things such as air temperature, fuel quality, driving style, road terrain etc. It may be real or it may not.

Agreed. Personally, I can swear that my truck always runs better after a wash, wax and detail. Most likely, the real reason is that I am just driving differently, etc.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You could certainly see an improvement in mpg if the air filter was dirty enough to be restricted.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
It is not rocket surgery.

More Airflow= More Dirt!!

K&N is garbage!!!

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
My ‘02 Tundra 6 cylinder would drop from 16.4 mpg to 15 when the air filter needed replacement.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Most people should check their tire pressure and bump it up towards the max load level pressures and then recheck the mileage.

The truth is, most people don't check their tire pressures unless they think they are flat.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I got a good MPG boost my cleaning the MAF sensor in my Tacoma. I do it once a year now.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
keeping your air filter clean will for sure gain MPG benefits. If you're talking about a gen 3, then dirty air filters are somewhat mitigated by the ECU which senses flow and makes corrections to a point. The immediate benefits are difficult to measure out of a laboratory testing deal. .5 is really not much when you consider the switch from winter to summer gas can give up to 1 mpg, and driving from Dallas to Colorado will see more significant changes do to elevation and road grade. But yeah, I installed a TRD CAI and use a oiled filter and feel that's as good as I can do in that area.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Most people should check their tire pressure and bump it up towards the max load level pressures

I don't think that's a good idea. Within a few PSI of the door sticker is where you want to be on most cars, unless you are towing a lot of weight.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any REAL HP/torque upgrade suggestions for a 21 Tacoma? CAI? Seems like there isn’t much….
Anybody?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Engine air filter, Seafoam the crankcase, new tires at correct inflation, oil change, new spark plugs = about a 10% increase in an older Acura I was gifted.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywag:
It is not rocket surgery.

More Airflow= More Dirt!!

K&N is garbage!!!

Yay. Science.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any REAL HP/torque upgrade suggestions for a 21 Tacoma? CAI? Seems like there isn’t much….
Anybody?

2018 and up already have a CAI configuration (could be wrong on the year) The modification to the TRD CAI or an aftermarket CAI could allow for a bit more flow, but the ECU compensates for a lot of this to keep the air/gas mixture consistent. There is however increased "vroom". Likewise, the TRD exhaust increases sound, and adds a tiny, tiny bit to MPG. Neither of these mods will ever come close to paying for themselves and I doubt you'd see any noticeable difference at the pump. So if the extra fun of cool a sounding engine is not your goal, pass on these. Also, contrary to what some people think, higher octane fuel has little affect on MPG, but E0 gas will give you 3-4% better mileage than E15. Always use top tier gas though. Not for MPG, but to keep your engine clean which in the long run could affect MPG.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post