SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    7 hours in DEN Denver - Stick it out or wander?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 hours in DEN Denver - Stick it out or wander? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Have a 7 hour layover at DEN, just landed from IAH en route to SMF.
Anything to bide time at the airport, would rather avoid a bunch of Uber charges if I can. And have 2 carry-on bags to lug around.

Worst case, I can hang out in the United Club, I suppose.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.sleepinginairports...r-denver-airport.htm

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That airport is so far from civilization, it would take nearly an hour to even start the wandering.

Just don't go down any dirt roads!

Google Maps strands dozens in mud!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
That airport is so far from civilization, it would take nearly an hour to even start the wandering. ]

Good to know, United Club it is, I suppose.
Wish I'd remembered my media hard drive...

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to check into a hotel, enjoy the evening and catch a flight out in the morning.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to the link above, there's a train that will take you downtown in 37 minutes. $9 each way, so it might be worth it.

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
I'd be tempted to check into a hotel, enjoy the evening and catch a flight out in the morning.

Already booked in CA tonight. Probably hang out in the U Club & have a few free beers, maybe get some work done.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
DIA?
Wander around and check out the strange new world order "artwork" in the terminal.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
As said, light rail can get you downtown reasonably.

You cold also light rail and then Uber to the Museum of Nature and Science for example.

There are some good food options around. A food hall in Concourse A I think. And Concourse C has good options. I recommend Root Down.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sitting at Aviators Smokehouse right now for a pulled pork sandwich & a beer.
Just need the Astros game on & I'd be good.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Explore the underground tunnels. Smile

https://www.9news.com/article/...al-airport/201142788

Under Colorado: The secret tunnels of Denver International Airport

Every day, thousands of people at Denver International Airport walk over it as they're trying to catch their flights, and they have no idea what's right under their feet.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Anything to bide time at the airport, would rather avoid a bunch of Uber charges if I can. And have 2 carry-on bags to lug around.

Even in 2019, books still function.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Even in 2019, books still function.

This is true, had intended to bring 1 or 2, forgot along with the HDD with my movies on it.
Sitting at SMF now waiting to be picked up.

posted Hide Post
I write a lot, and on occasion have ended up on a flight without writing material. It's like being put in a round room and told to find the corner.

I've cranked out an entire chapter on cocktail napkins on long flights, painful though it may be.

For work, I'm chained to an ipad where ever I go, so there's always something to read on there, though it's usually technical manuals. At least in airports, there are magazines and books that can be bought, even though today the sad state is that paper is dwindling in favor of ebooks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...Worst case, I can hang out in the United Club, I suppose.

For frequent travelers, the lounges are well worth it. I joined the United lounge program about a year ago using 70K (I think) miles, we've used United lounges at O'Hare and several partner lounges at overseas airports. A Lufthansa lounge at Frankfurt required I show a hard copy lounge card, which thankfully I was carrying. As Premier Silver I can bring one guest, that keeps Mrs Sigmund happy.

We've always used the "budget" lounges which are fine, never gone in a Polaris or other high class lounge.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post