SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    West Coast Trail, Vancouver Island
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Coast Trail, Vancouver Island Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Has anyone hiked this trail? 75 kilometers of temperate old growth rainforests, rocky beaches, and cliffs on Southwestern Vancouver Island.

A friend of a friend invited me out for an 7 night hike.

Any tips for the logistics of getting out there, readying up, and getting back via plane is welcome!

Hiking North to South in late September.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Never hiked it. Sounds like an awesome time of year to be doing it - have fun!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Be ready for rain regardless of the forecast.

When packing, have extra socks and underwear keeping them all packed in zip lock bags. (To keep dry)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye out for shoes along the coast, there could be a prize inside!

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17010 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Went on a motorcycle trip up there,beautiful. If you can check out http://www.butchartgardens.com/,, It's a party town also. This place was cool... http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Years ago North Face had a write-up in their catalog about this hike. IIRC the hikers practically went mad with the incessant rain.... Eek

Posts: 18095 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Years ago North Face had a write-up in their catalog about this hike. IIRC the hikers practically went mad with the incessant rain.... Eek

sissies.

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The North end of the island is where the tv show Alone was filmed. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's on Netflix.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I'm not a hiker any longer, but I DO love Vancouver Island!

My youngest son and his fiance who were living in the Seattle area at the time, decided that Tofino, on the upper Northwest corner of the island would be the ideal place to be married.

Our two families met there and spent a wonderful four days getting to know each other, walk the beaches and eat wonderfully at the hotel there... and Yes, it rained a good bit!

I've always wanted to get back there on my motorcycle, some of the roads would be an epic ride!

One thing that is a bit unnerving along the coastal area are the frequent signs warning that you are in a Tsunami Zone!! Eek

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yup, there are instructions all over their parks website with warnings that if you see the sea level rapidly decreasing, that you should GTFO of there.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From the deck of the cruise ship on our Alaska Cruise I can tell you its one big fuggin island, I'm thinking it took three martinis, a sit down 5 course dinner and a couple of evening cigars and we still were not past the island. LOL

Looks pretty much uninhabited sans the few small towns, and it was wet and cold, we went up in August.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
The weather is so bad there that it pissed off the original inhabitants so bad they were head hunters and cannibals. Abandon all hope Californians that want to winter over up here.

seriously

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I started reading some blogs of people recounting their trip and the West Coast Trail sorta looks like a shit show.

I think the biggest draw is that you get to claim that you've completed it. Apparently 1 in 100 hikers have to get rescued off of the trail. Luckily, the Canadian park service makes it easy--your trail permit fees include rescue services and the trail is pretty much accessible by Zodiac at any given point.

Otherwise, the trail actually looks pretty crowded. And rainy. Definitely rainy.

Oh well, I've already pretty much committed, and any excuse to get out on the trail is welcome. But why the heck did this trail ever even become "a thing"?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I started reading some blogs of people recounting their trip and the West Coast Trail sorta looks like a shit show.

I think the biggest draw is that you get to claim that you've completed it. Apparently 1 in 100 hikers have to get rescued off of the trail. Luckily, the Canadian park service makes it easy--your trail permit fees include rescue services and the trail is pretty much accessible by Zodiac at any given point.

Otherwise, the trail actually looks pretty crowded. And rainy. Definitely rainy.

Oh well, I've already pretty much committed, and any excuse to get out on the trail is welcome. But why the heck did this trail ever even become "a thing"?

There are Black Bears, wolves & cougars(big cats, not single middle-aged women Wink ), that can be encountered on the trail, practice good back country safety & food storage, and you'll be fine. Most people that get in trouble in the back country overestimate their ability. Can't bring a gun, but should be able to get a canister of bear spray locally on the island. Late September should make it a bit less crowded.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
But why the heck did this trail ever even become "a thing"?

If this is the same one, about 20 years ago #2 son & a buddy hobbled along part of it. I think they abandoned the trip as it was really more challenging than they were prepared for.

Isn't this the 'coastal shipwreck survivor trail?

Good luck.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sounds pretty intense. And roughing it.

I couldn't do that anymore. I did some long hikes related to this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku_Pilgrimage ); while some of the hikes were hard and long (10+ miles per day), at least I had good food, a warm bath and a comfortable bed each night. I'm not buddhist so I can't say it was explicitly a religious experience for me. But it was certainly contemplative. And except for being at the temples, the (I only did about 60 miles total) hiking was largely solitary and remote; I probably only met 2 people across all those miles. Only advice - good boots made all the difference for me - I was very happy with Danner Rivot RTF.

I love nature hikes. Wish I could do more. I envy you if you make this hike.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Went on a motorcycle trip up there,beautiful. If you can check out http://www.butchartgardens.com/,, It's a party town also. This place was cool... http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/
My photos of Victoria and Butchart Gardens in 2007: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157603512311778/.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Great photos Flashguy!

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
But why the heck did this trail ever even become "a thing"?

If this is the same one, about 20 years ago #2 son & a buddy hobbled along part of it. I think they abandoned the trip as it was really more challenging than they were prepared for.

Isn't this the 'coastal shipwreck survivor trail?

Good luck.

Yeah. The trail was used to ease rescue efforts along that stretch of coast, part of the "Graveyard of the Pacific" and then to support telepgraph lines and Lighthouses. Pretty rough and pretty much impassable by modern trail standards without all of the built up ladders, boardwalks, and

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Sounds pretty intense. And roughing it.

I couldn't do that anymore. I did some long hikes related to this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku_Pilgrimage ); while some of the hikes were hard and long (10+ miles per day), at least I had good food, a warm bath and a comfortable bed each night. I'm not buddhist so I can't say it was explicitly a religious experience for me. But it was certainly contemplative. And except for being at the temples, the (I only did about 60 miles total) hiking was largely solitary and remote; I probably only met 2 people across all those miles. Only advice - good boots made all the difference for me - I was very happy with Danner Rivot RTF.

I love nature hikes. Wish I could do more. I envy you if you make this hike.

Are you no longer able to distance hike because of health or age? Lightweight gear is getting more and more affordable. With a pack that weighs less than no 25lbs, fully loaded, you can easily continue hiking well into your "golden years."