SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prefab walls for framing a building.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prefab walls for framing a building. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Prefab wall panels? Help me out.

So if building something like a 24x24' two story structure. How easy would it be to:

Pour the foundation. Footing and stemwall with bolts. Put sill and top plate on. set the floor joist and sheet the floor. Order wall panels. Stand them and secure in place when they arrive. Brace and nail together. Do second story joists and flooring. Have second story delv'd. and set in place with boom truck. Secure in place. Have truss' delv. and set and secured and wala. Ready for sheeting and a roof. All with in a few days with the exception of the foundation.

Could it be that easy and how about the cost vs the more traditional way with lots more time and labor. obviously this has lots of things missing. I am just talking about getting the structure up (framed).

Thoughts?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I believe many houses in Japan today are build using pre-fab construction. I think they can assemble a house in a matter of weeks. They look very nice.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My dad was a custom house developer back in the late 80's and most of the 90's. Back in about 1994 he sold a lakefront lot to someone who wanted to put up a "deck house". We're talking just shy of $1M in 1994. Those houses may be more than what you are looking for, but give this a look:

https://www.deckhouse.com/

I think most of the houses are custom, but they may have standard builds available as well.

I moved/transferred to Colorado in Jan of 1995 so I never got to see the final house. It was really high end.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I have built 100's of residences this way. We had a warehouse that we prebuilt all the walls in the winter and when the weather broke and the foundations got poured we would stand them up. In regards to cost your going to want to find someone who does prefabricated walls in order to see the savings. Check with your local truss company.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys and yes Lugerguards that is what I am thinking. There is a building supply Co. who has their own truss plant and now are doing walls.

That is what got me thinking. If pricing is good I could get four 9'x24' walls delivered and have in place in a few hours.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You need an expert on local building codes to help you out. Codes were pretty much put in place to enrich the contractors and tradesmen at your expense. You'll need plumbing and electrical services. Plumbing needs to sit and be pressure tested for a day or so before continuing. Some places even require insulation to please them (not you).

If you want quick, talk to some of your local Amish or Mennonite carpenters. Some are pretty darn quick. The ones that built my house didn't even break for beer at lunch. They just ate as a group and went back to work. The condo across the road took forever. Two problems, liquid lunch and non-speaka da english.

Watcha going to do about the roof, AC and such?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
you need an expert on local building codes to help you out.

Nope, none of that on this one rburg. Thankfully.

I can do the roof. Probably metal but could be a comp too. Not sure yet.

Electrical and plumbing I can do as well. It will be basic and somewhat minimal. Insulation and woodstove jack and piping I can do also.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We built 25 houses using structural insulated panels about 15 years ago. Slickest thing you ever saw. I had a video camera mounted on a pole filming to make a slow mo presentation. I’m not sure what happened to that when I retired.

Anyway, check it out. https://www.sips.org/about/what-are-sips

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Used to work with a builder in NW Ohio who got pre fab homes from Boise Cascade. They came in on a semi truck and had sheeting and windows already installed. Lift them in place with a boom truck and plumb them up and nail in place. Did a few 2 story homes this way.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My 1973 single-level home and every other in the subdivision was built this way with factory prefabricated walls delivered on a flat-bed truck.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, SIPs, I want to build a "tiny house" on a trailer using them in the next few years for our recreation land.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post