SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycles: Parking on the sidewalk
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycles: Parking on the sidewalk Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
I don't park on sidewalks, but I'm not overly shy about parking in cross hatched areas of parking lots which are not designated as part of handicap spaces. The bike fits fine, doesn't obstruct anything, and it frees up a parking space for a car to use.

We've got a Harley rider at work that typically parks between 2 handicap spaces. Definitely not a fan of this.
Not too bothered about bikes parked in the hashed 'end caps' of the aisles.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

We've got a Harley rider at work that typically parks between 2 handicap spaces.
If I am visualizing that correctly, this guy is obstructing the space that is reserved for a van with a wheelchair ramp that extends from the side door.

Parking in that area is worth a $250.00 fine around here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

We've got a Harley rider at work that typically parks between 2 handicap spaces.
If I am visualizing that correctly, this guy is obstructing the space that is reserved for a van with a wheelchair ramp that extends from the side door.

Correct. We have 3 handicap spaces & he parks in one of the 2 hashed areas between the handicap spots.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Correct. We have 3 handicap spaces & he parks in one of the 2 hashed areas between the handicap spots.
An anonymous call to the local LE office would probably bring that behavior to a sudden stop.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wow. I just didn't think it was a big deal for riders to park on the sidewalk (when not overtly obstructing anything). I mean come on, it's a shame when one bike takes up an entire parking space. Seriously. If a bike is on the sidewalk, and it's not obstructing a pathway or an entrance, what is the big deal?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a bike is on the sidewalk, and it's not obstructing a pathway or an entrance, what is the big deal?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Technically it would be obstructing a sidewalk. In most locales you cannot block any portion of a sidewalk. I have seen prostitutes charged with this offense if they do not move along and they cannot hang a soliciting charge on them.

Not that I care. I know how some bikers are about their machines and would not wish to encourage their disfavor.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've only been riding since April, but I have never parked on a sidewalk and never considered doing so. To be fair, I'm pretty novice and I do my best to avoid areas that are so crowded that finding a parking place is tough.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wow. I just didn't think it was a big deal for riders to park on the sidewalk (when not overtly obstructing anything). I mean come on, it's a shame when one bike takes up an entire parking space. Seriously. If a bike is on the sidewalk, and it's not obstructing a pathway or an entrance, what is the big deal?
Parking next to a building might be considered a fire hazard.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've only been riding since April, but I have never parked on a sidewalk and never considered doing so. To be fair, I'm pretty novice and I do my best to avoid areas that are so crowded that finding a parking place is tough.

Apart from the above mentioned handicap parker at work, I see it the most at the HEB near us. Granted, their 'sidewalk' is huge around the snow cone trailer.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Apart from the above mentioned handicap parker at work, I see it the most at the HEB near us. Granted, their 'sidewalk' is huge around the snow cone trailer.
In general, the snow cone trailer at the HEB we both shop is an asshole convention for cagers too. Too damn lazy to walk from a parking spot so they park in traffic flow. Even seen the assholes walk the snow cones one at a time to their lazy sex trophies sitting in the vehicle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Never would I do that. I'll park in motorcycle parking, or in a normal spot, backed up enough so that the bike is visible to anyone that thinks it might be empty and try to pull in.

I'd give a pass to someone with one of those little 50cc scooters that parks with the bicycles though, as they can chain it up like a bicycle to the rack, and it's not likely to get picked up and stolen.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Part of me just has a hard time envisioning rolling/driving/maneuvering the 650lb noisy V-twin Indian in my garage up the sidewalk; much less starting it up that close to the main doors of the business.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
In NYC it's illegal to drive on the sidewalk unless there is a curb cut, so any bike parked up against a building is asking for a ticket. It used to be more common, but they have been cracking down on it and bikes are easy to tow. Most riders would remove the license plate because it's an all day affair to get the VIN run in order to write a ticket, so the city started writing tickets for lack of plate.

Outside of NYC I've never needed to park anywhere other than an actual space. The striped areas at the end of parking rows are tailor made for bikes because no one in a cage dare parks there, and I've yet to get a ticket for using them.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post