SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycles: Parking on the sidewalk
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycles: Parking on the sidewalk Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It's called a side-walk. Not side-park or side-ride. I park in the gutter.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I don't ride, but what's the big deal with parking on the sidewalk? It never bothered me. I figured it's just a perk for those that ride. When you have such a small footprint like a motorcycle, I think you deserve a little leeway.

And anyway, at least it's not taking up a parking space for a car. Maybe that's why it never bothered me. More of a chance that I'll find a better parking space when motorcycles are on the sidewalk.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I have ever seen a motorcycle parked on a sidewalk other than someone parked on one in front of their own house while washing it.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it 40 years ago in Chicago because parking there was always a problem. It was a sidewalk tapered for an entrance for maintenance equipment into a park. Parked a motorcycle there - got a ticket. Parked a car in the same place - got another ticket. Haven’t done it since.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
Depends on when and where and how big the sidewalk is. I have done it numerous times on large sidewalks. Especially in "urban" type areas with limited parking. Save space for the cars. I don't know if all the places I did it were in large bike friendly areas or what, but I never had one person say or do anything when my bike was on the sidewalk. It's all about reading the scene and the area. Not all situations are equal.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I do it sometimes. The sidewalk area has to allow me to park it where it is out of the way of where people would normally walk. If it would block poeple from walking i won't.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I always use the motorcycle spaces when provided. Big Grin

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The inconsiderate moron with the Jaguar needs to have a beater parked about 1/4" from his car, on both sides.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been known to. But only if the sidewalk spot is far enough away to not impede access, foot traffic or wheelchair ramps. And even then just for quick stops.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The inconsiderate moron with the Jaguar needs to have a beater parked about 1/4" from his car, on both sides.

I think a potential beating parked next to them conveys a good message. Wink

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
I voted sometimes, it depends places with large sidewalks like hardware store, home depot, bike shops usually don't care. Believe it or not some people get pissed if you take a cager parking place on a motorcycle. The plant I retired from (1800 people) did not allow motorcycles in a cager parking place the last 5 years I was there. I've been riding a long time, over the years I've been confronted three times by people, over precious parking spots in a car lot. Some people don't think motorcycles belong in a parking lot. Where in the fudge Am I supposed to park people?

This is why. I hate doing it, but do so rarely. People are very passive aggressive in parking lots, and if there is a huge amount of space, I *might*. It has NOTHING to do with getting attention, or being lazy, etc. But I dislike doing it every time.

Edit to add: I don't ever park on the sidewalk, per se. Rather, in an area that might be close to the building that is completely out of the way of pedestrians or a loitering area. I would never block a walkway with my motorcycle or truck.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
In some jurisdictions, it's also a fire code violation if it's parked right next to a building.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I don't. I usually park where I'm among other bikes, or at least where I can keep an eye on it.
I consider it rude if you block pedestrian traffic. But I also consider it rude when people feel it's ok to play with the handlebar controls, work the throttle (I'm a carburetor Luddite)flooding it, and any other handling of my bike. Amazingly enough, some people find it rude when I tell them to quit.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never parked on a sidewalk.
I'll stop to get gas, pull off to the side and drink some water. That's about the extent of me stopping unless I'm going to a certain place.
This weekend is Tall Ships in Erie, PA and if I go on the bike, I'll park where I can but never somewhere that I shouldn't be.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I would never. It is no different than a car, and almost everyone that does not ride (or even those that do) looks at them that way. I’ve written tickets for it without a shred of sympathy (as a rider myself, it represents laziness and perhaps a bit of arrogance).

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is some meandering going on here. A sidewalk is a sidewalk. The concrete areas that abut things like big box stores such as Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc, while concrete and people walk on them, aren’t sidewalks.

Think Main Street. Sidewalks line both sides of street and pedestrian traffic is what they were designed for. Don’t park on those. Ever.

As for people giving you grief for parking in cagers (never heard the term before), well, fuck them. It’s a parking lot.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I was still riding, there were occasions where I sort of had to park on the sidewalk.

On very hot days here in Florida the asphalt paving in the parking lot would get soft and my stand would sink in, allowing the motorcycle to tip over. Concrete sidewalks did not have that problem. When this situation arose, I did park on the sidewalk, but I always found a place where I was out of the way and did not impact pedestrians.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, generally park in the lot, however super heated blacktop lots are made for car tires not motorcycle stands, as Vtail said they can sink right down into the blacktop.

Big stores with concrete pads I'll pull up front since the lots are full of pickum-ups, and spaces are few, and you run the risk of getting your bike hit in a spot since folks will pull in quick to get that spot and not see the bike.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
There are also assigned places for bike parking...

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't park on sidewalks, but I'm not overly shy about parking in cross hatched areas of parking lots which are not designated as part of handicap spaces. The bike fits fine, doesn't obstruct anything, and it frees up a parking space for a car to use.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post