SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Shop At ALDI Here? A Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Shop At ALDI Here? A Question Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I like pushing the cart out, loading my car, and handing the cart off to someone who just arrived. Kinda makes my day, and I get a kick out of smile and thank you for the freebie.

It's just a quarter, after all, but give it away. Some folks arrive and don't even have a quarter on them.

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to shop at Aldis all the time, the last time we were there(about a year ago) prices seemed to have gone up drastically, and the selection was so so. We found that Kroger’s had better quality stuff for only pennies more. We gave up on them. I always said that if you were on welfare and stampers, you should be forced to shop somewhere like Aldis or Save-a-lot, now with the quality of their stuff, maybe not so much…

Posts: 461 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You can make a very fine meal using ALDI ingredients. There is actually groups on Facebook that make amazing meals using only ALDI ingredients.

The 25 cent cart rentals are genius. Not a single cart ever sits in the lot, ever. Why pay someone to retrieve carts when the customers will do it for free. Genius!

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The Albrecht brothers have always had the low cost store and minimal display plan to keep their prices down...

Then they bought a joint from Trader Joe.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Been shopping at Aldi ever since I lived in Germany and was glad to see them here. We had problems with some of the produce when they first opened here in Georgia, but my store has been pretty good lately. Most of the items in the store are pretty good though, we just got a Lidl (another german store) and just like in Germany its considered to be a notch higher than Aldi and it is, best thing is they have a bakery in the front which almost has bread as good as in Germany

Posts: 3575 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Here's a guy I watch from time to time. He's a health food guy and shops all of the markets. He been kicked out of all of the major food stores at one time or the other.

Take it for what it's worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78tn-_phik

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
No big complaint about the quality of ALDI’s produce here but maybe being about twenty miles from their distribution center factors into that.

Meats, I use their ground turkey breast and their 96% lean ground beef as I’m on a restricted fat diet. They always seem to have it on hand unlike my local Meijer, out of stock by early evening without fail.

I started using ALDI during the pandemic restrictions, they were not out of the basic needs like Kroger,Wal-Mart and Meijer were.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8133 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan and spend probably 30% of our grocery dollar at Aldi. Fortunate to have Meijer, Aldi and Kroger w/in 1/2 mile of each other and none are out of the way. Kroger is main store and Meijer #3.

Aldi always chills their bananas. if breaking bananas get below about 40 degrees they get a light grey tint and don't ripen pretty. Fruit is fine but bananas should ripen yellow. I'll bet Aldi never gets cost out of bananas. They dump a bunch. Their weekly specials are usually quality loss leaders but lack of refrigeration hurts regular stock and they don't buy the best available - normally mid grade.

I like the shopping cart system. As others have said it keeps the lot clear of carts and it's a friendly gesture to pass one off to an incoming customer - mini karma.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It cost 1 DM deposit to rent the Aldi cart in Germany back in the 60's. You guys get off cheap here Smile

Not also that, but the Aldi cashier gets to sit. Typical in Germany, not just for Aldi.

Yup bag your own stuff and in Germany if you're slow, the other person' stuff following you gets mixed in. Although sometimes they have 2 or 3 chutes to help alleviate this.

Produce is hit and miss a lot - everywhere. The lovely ex and I would drive 90 minutes each way to Carmel to get fresh high quality produce when we lived in SF south bay area. The difference in quality was nearly worth it.

Wish I had an Aldi here.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
from some comments above,

keeping in mind I spent 35 yrs in the grocery biz

barcodes scan, no matter what way they are orientated, the computer and laser reader just does not care,

Aldi uses on delivery truck, as in all of it generally comes on one load, and sits in the back room until processed,

I've never worked for Aldi but I understand they do put the dairy in a cooler, freezer in freezer and the rest sits in the back ,
as in produce may sit there for a short time period before it hits the refrige case,

the buyers have options on what grade of produce they buy, and also have contracts to get it to the warehouses in certian time and temp ranges, as well as quality checks,

even with a contract to get the Grade A produce, and a quick delivery in a perfect working truck , offloaded and resent to stores immediately etc etc, you will still get some crap produce,

key is to have someone cull the stuff regularly, which is labor intensive

I shop at Aldi's a lot, and have a couple of stores I pass to shop at,
some are better than others, and some days all I want is available, and some days hardly anything is,

the Produce is good, for the most part, but I am also selective, and we eat it fairly quick

never had an issue with the Chicken, steaks or burgers,

I don't care for the Canned Corn, tastes off to me,

the canned peas are good, and the baked beans are delicious,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
You can make a very fine meal using ALDI ingredients. There is actually groups on Facebook that make amazing meals using only ALDI ingredients.

The 25 cent cart rentals are genius. Not a single cart ever sits in the lot, ever. Why pay someone to retrieve carts when the customers will do it for free. Genius!

one thing about customers,

they will not leave a cart on the lot, gotta have that quarter

they will spend way more than needed on items in a store, drive a big gas guzzler, and then bitch out the manager if the price of gas goes up a penny a gallon,,

had that happen to me once, lady drove across the parking lot in her big Expedition, and cussed me out because I had dropped the cost of gas 1 penny while she was shopping, and she wanted a refund for the difference,

I told her if I have 50 cents in my pocket, I would give it to her, but since I did not, she needed to go across the parking lot and into the store,

she decided it was not worth her effort

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
It cost 1 DM deposit to rent the Aldi cart in Germany back in the 60's. You guys get off cheap here Smile

Not also that, but the Aldi cashier gets to sit. Typical in Germany, not just for Aldi.

Yup bag your own stuff and in Germany if you're slow, the other person' stuff following you gets mixed in. Although sometimes they have 2 or 3 chutes to help alleviate this.

I got stationed in Germany in late 1991 and recall the first time I ventured out into the local town (Kitzingen) and being surprised to see the girl sitting on a stool at the local supermarket. Then she’s shoving my stuff down the chute and there’s no bagger and she’s making no effort to bag my stuff! I learned quick that day as a young naive American how things work there!

I also found it kind of strange that cashiers never touch money directly from a customer, you are to place your cash on the little dish there and any change is placed back into the dish. Weird

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had an interesting experience at Aldi yesterday. In the checkout line, the cashier was scanning my purchases, and a woman, maybe in her 40s or 50s, walked up to me, credit card in hand.

She told me that The Lord had told her to pay for my groceries.

I told her to thank The Lord on my behalf, but He had provided for me.

She then produced a ten dollar bill and tried to give it to me.

I suggested that she might want to help The Lord, by finding somebody who truly needed food and could not afford it.

The woman said that she would pray for me. I thanked her, and we each went on our separate way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you previously tried what is usually called country style boneless ribs at Meijers, try them again from Aldi. Meijers doesn't get it, and you'll be happier.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what an aldi is.

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:

I don't know what an aldi is.
https://www.aldi.us

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had an interesting experience at Aldi yesterday. In the checkout line, the cashier was scanning my purchases, and a woman, maybe in her 40s or 50s, walked up to me, credit card in hand.

She told me that The Lord had told her to pay for my groceries.

I told her to thank The Lord on my behalf, but He had provided for me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK. What were you wearing?

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

What were you wearing?
I wasn't real dressed up. I mean, it's not like I was going to any place fancy, like Walmart.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have only been to Aldi’s once ever. It was during the Texas snow/ice storm this year where we lost power and water for a week. I was searching for water and they were the first grocery store to open and I got super lucky by just driving by right as they opened. I was able to get in and get some food and water before they sold out.

Beyond being so happy to buy any food I could, I saw that it was not a store I would regularly shop at.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 03, 2021 08:34 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

What were you wearing?
I wasn't real dressed up. I mean, it's not like I was going to any place fancy, like Walmart.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
haahaha

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post