SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Shop At ALDI Here? A Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Shop At ALDI Here? A Question Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
So, I’ve been a fan of ALDI since they’ve come to this area almost 10 years ago, love their coffee, chocolates, and baking supply prices cannot be beat.

But I’ve come to the realization that their produce is mostly garbage. Not sure why, but if I buy lettuce or bananas for example they are bad within two days. Are they buying produce that is on the older side? Produce I buy at my local supermarket chain or at Walmart lasts a normal length of time it seems, but I always have issues with the ALDI produce going bad on me.

I’ve even seen containers of blueberries and strawberries that look great on top there, but you turn the container over and they are all moldy on the bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
...realization that their produce is mostly garbage. Not sure why, but if I buy lettuce or bananas for example they are bad within two days. Are they buying produce that is on the older side?

Funny you mentioned that, because they gave me that exact impression. When they first opened around here several years ago, I went there because a co-worker raved about them. Haven't been back since that first day.

My wife and I used to joke, they must get their products from Kroger's Manager Specials, because they all looked like crap about to go spoiled in a day or two.

Q

Posts: 26468 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yes, you have to be careful on produce. It's generally decent, but sometimes they leave them way too long. I mainly stick with peppers, beefsteak tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach in a bag, and their slaw kits. The last round of cherries was great. I typically buy large fruit/vegetable purchases from Costco and supplement with Aldi or Harris Teeter as needed.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

We have an Aldi’s very close to us and produce is not one of their strengths. In a pinch it’s o.k.

I am guessing that in order to keep overall costs down that they chose to not invest in a costly ‘fresh produce’ supply chain to guarantee better quality.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are lacking in the produce section, the wife has banned me from buying any of it

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Yes.

We have an Aldi’s very close to us and produce is not one of their strengths. Much of their produce seems to be right on the edge of ripe or slightly past that.

In a pinch it’s o.k.

I am guessing that in order to keep overall costs down that they chose to not invest in a costly ‘fresh produce’ supply chain to guarantee better quality.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh, and another thing that was a complete turn-off, stick your quarter in the cart to use it and put the cart back in place to get your quarter back. I realize that it's just a quarter, but to me, that's just going out of their way to inconvenient your customers. Do they still do that shit? Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26468 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Oh, and another thing that was a complete turn-off, stick your quarter in the cart to use it and put the cart back in place to get your quarter back. I realize that it's just a quarter, but to me, that's just going out of their way to inconvenient your customers. Do they still do that shit? Roll Eyes

You would be surprised how many carts would walk off if they didn't. It's never bothered me. I just keep a quarter in the door of my cars.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
quote:

You would be surprised how many carts would walk off if they didn't. It's never bothered me. I just keep a quarter in the door of my cars.

You can still walk it off with the quarter in, can't you? They should do it like every other major chain, installing the wheel lock in their carts. Nothing can walk off beyond the parking lot's boundary.

Q

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s because they’re a German company and it’s been done like that in Europe for probably 50 years now. I actually love it, you never pull in and have carts ditched all over the place like at Walmart were these lazy assholes just leave them wherever they feel like it.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's done mostly so the customers will return cars in order to:

1. less carts hitting customer cars
2. don't have to hire lot attendant

Their business philosophy is keeping payroll low. From what I understand, they don't keep much staff on but staff is well paid.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I always shop at Aldi when I need a loaf of bread, a packet of cheese, and a 4 person canoe.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I shop at Aldi regularly. I don't believe they have as good of refrigeration for their produce as most other large grocery chains. Consequently, that results in their produce on display spoiling faster.

When I've come across produce that was just put out from a shipment that morning, it looked as good as any other place.

I have an IR thermometer, so maybe if I'm especially curious one day, I'll go take produce temperatures from different stores to compare.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
It's done mostly so the customers will return cars in order to:

1. less carts hitting customer cars
2. don't have to hire lot attendant

Their business philosophy is keeping payroll low. From what I understand, they don't keep much staff on but staff is well paid.

This is exactly right.

Same reason why they don't bag the groceries, and they emphasize extreme speed in checkout (even designing their packaging around fast and efficient checkouts, with large barcodes on each side of a package so it doesn't matter which way they're scanned).

It all allows them to operate with a reduced staff, to keep payroll low, and therefore be able to have lower prices.

In my opinion, bagging my own stuff and returning a cart are small sacrifices for the cost savings.

But yes, their produce specifically isn't always the best, along with much of their meat (but their deli meats, sausages, and chicken breasts are fine). I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi, with the exception of most produce and pork/beef, which I get elsewhere.

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

That’s because they’re a German company and it’s been done like that in Europe for probably 50 years now. I actually love it, you never pull in and have carts ditched all over the place like at Walmart were these lazy assholes just leave them wherever they feel like it.

I love it for that reason too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Produce and meat are things I do not buy from Aldi.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25442 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, and another thing that was a complete turn-off, stick your quarter in the cart to use it and put the cart back in place to get your quarter back. I realize that it's just a quarter, but to me, that's just going out of their way to inconvenient your customers.
That is one thing that I really DO like about Aldi. There are very few, usually none at all, carts rolling around in the parking lot, blocking access to parking places, and hitting cars when a breeze blows them around.

I wish that more grocery stores would do this.

Re fruit, vegetables, meat, etc., I don't buy them at Aldi. Eggs are always fresh and low-priced, as are things like orange juice, half & half, canned goods, frequent German specialties, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meat is good at local Aldi, but produce is sometimes too ripe and ready to spoil. That's about the same as other local grocery stores, though.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Sounds good to me.
The amount of lazy shit-heads around parking lots and grocery stores is stunning.
I'm perfectly fine bagging my own purchases...in fact, I can't remember the last time I went though a full-service check-out other than Costco. The people usually hired to bag groceries, while eager and well intentioned, I usually find the lettuce or, yogurt at the bottom of the bag or, a single bag just for an squash Roll Eyes

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They have good prices and the chicken breasts don't have a lot of fat hidden on the back side like other places. It can be a hit or miss on the produce.

I don't mind the quarter for a basket while the Asian market, Lottes Plaza, there are baskets everywhere.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post