SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is The Key To Happiness?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is The Key To Happiness? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
For many, there is no single key to happiness. Others find a combination of a few things make their happiness manifest. But then, some find happiness in the bottom of a bottle, or in some sordid, non society accepted, vice of one type or another. As if that is really happiness, or just an illusion that dulls the pain of life.

Many others define happiness by highlighting what it is not. For instance, the absence of family tribulations, or finding freedom from some illicit drug.

Happiness always seems to be right in front of us, yet eludes the majority of those that seek it.

What is the key to happiness? Or even better, what truly is happiness? Or maybe even better, what is your key to happiness.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its being happy with yourself, and making the best of whatever life circumstance you find yourself in.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Happiness is being able to see the good in something (whether a person place or thing). And at the same time put whatever is bad or painful in its proper perspective.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2181 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Its being happy with yourself, and making the best of whatever life circumstance you find yourself in.

Exactly. Nothing to add.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
Honestly though a job you love and a family)friend you would die for. Edit to add Time to enjoy a good cigar and a fine scotch. I have been blessed with all of the above it's been a long hard road but in the end it has been well worth the ride.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2181 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Seek to be content.

Happiness is usually a temporary situation, and oftentimes an illusion.

Being content is a very good spot.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
There's no "key".....it's a choice.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It varies from person to person. I think some are more biologically/psychologically predisposed to being happy.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Bacon.

Helloooooo.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maintaining a sense of gratitude

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
There's no "key".....it's a choice.

Here is the correct answer.

You make the choice every day if you are going to have a good day or not. Shit's gonna happen no matter what, it's how you react to it that counts. My ex wife is miserable - always has been. She always thought/thinks that happiness is a destination - that the next job, next house, next possession is going to be the thing that finally makes her happy. There are a whole lot of people like that. I'm so fortunate I finally learned the truth and found a person with the same philosophy. Been married 9 years and we've never had a fight or cross word between us. Life is so much better.

You decide every day if you are going to be happy or not.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
For me it's a job that pays me enough money to have time and funds enough to enjoy time off with my family.

I don't need anything extravagant, but I spent over a decade working 70+ hours a week to just get by as a single-income family, and missed out on so much.

Never again.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Ever know any folks that aren't truly happy unless they are mad?
Fussing and fighting... major drama... all the dang time.

Me? I'm very happy when they leave. Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I think it's having someone in your life that accepts you, respects you, validates you, and makes you a better person.

So yeah, it's a dog.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'll repeat what I heard a long time ago that was based on a research study.

People who are grateful for at least 3 things everyday and wrote it down are happier.

Bottom line is: the key to happiness is having a habit of gratefulness.

Here's a link to an article I googled just now. Link

P.S. I see Wassabibill and I are on the same page.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
My dogs don't know I'm not a billionaire

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing the best you can with what you have.
Being happy with that.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Happiness? Well lets see. For me it's been many things, a great wife and family, decades of motorcycling, hunting with great buddies, fishing, a job that I loved for 41 years and many more adventures. I could go on and on.

I've had a number of bumps in the road like everyone else, but when one occurs I force myself to think how lucky I am to have been born a wasp in the greatest (not perfect) country the world has ever seen. I've never worried about not having enough to eat or drink or if I'll have a roof over my head at the end of the day.

I think about the billions, yes billions of people around the world who would trade places with me in a heartbeat. I'm happy when I can make a positive contribution in someone else's life. I'm thankful when someone does the same for me.

I've made a number of bitches about this and that on this forum but at the end of the day I'm happy with things just the way they are for the most part and shrug off the little shit. This makes me happy.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post