SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for gun Cleaning Solvent these days?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for gun Cleaning Solvent these days? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Hoppes is about to run out and there have been a lot of higher-tech cleaners out there in the past 5 years. What are you in love with?
Thanks.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything other than Hoppes is heresy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16125 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use Kroil on the bore of my rifles...and hoppes for whatever else...and use just about any sewing oil grade oil or the quart of mobile one I have in the garage for lubricant

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
CLP for general cleaning. Hoppes for when I want a dedicated solvent. Brake Cleaner for serious cleaning/degreasing.

Posts: 32561 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
MPro 7.

The heavy stuff still gets Hoppes but I need to get some Slip 2000 Carbon Killer to try.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There is only one God ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Bore tech.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Lucas recently. It seems to work well.

Posts: 1627 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kroil works well, but for a good firearm solvent, I haven't found anything that works better than Hoppes 9.

Plain old stoddard solvent works well, but Hoppes is a good choice on most finishes, most surfaces, and pretty much everything on the firearm. I just picked up a tall bottle.

I use a paint pen to highlight the numbers on my magazines, and to mark them with the pistol, and caliber. I write over the numbers on the magazine, then wipe off the excess. Hoppes takes off everything that isn't number, leaving a nice, crisp white number, easy to read. Hoppes works for all kinds of stuff.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am still using Hoppes #9 as well.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
You can mix up a batch of "Ed's Red" bore cleaner yourself. It's a pretty good cleaner.
Just Google it for the recipe.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16537 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m mostly a Hoppes guy, but do have stronger stuff if need be.

Posts: 6187 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I mix Kroil and Hoppes, recommended by a Rabbi in California. True story.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
I mix Kroil and Hoppes, recommended by a Rabbi in California. True story.

Do tell. This has to be good.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have been using Hoppes #9 for the 45 years.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Riptide CLP

https://www.americantributebra...ions/gun-oil-cleaner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
TM bore cleaning solvent and Gunslick foaming cleaner for rifles.

For pistols I immersion soak the barrels in original Hoppe’s #9 for a few days.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47416 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Breakfree CLP for quick clean/lube, Hoppes for thorough clean followed by some type of oil/grease, and for really bad barrels Sweets 7.62

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Ed's Red for me.
I add the acetone only for shotgun bore cleaning.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Get rid of the smell,actually get your gun clean--> Bore Tech.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post