SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Learning to play chess.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learning to play chess. Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have been watching Agadmator's chess channel.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I have exactly three friends in my life who are longterm chess opponents over 10-30yrs of friendship.

In one case I've only ever won a few times in 30yrs and don't mind; I very much enjoy the games and time spent, and keep coming back to play when I can.

Nothing beats in-person games, ultimately, as "seeing the board" on a real board is harder / different / 3D vs 2D. A real life game doesn't have a convenient overhead view, and you can miss "seeing" things a bit more, I think, and in the same way online poker misses the human opponent element some and leaves some with a gap once they transition to in person play, so does chess. But online is a nice substitute for some things, definitely a great supplement.

I don't play online anymore, and really only play with my three friends, and even that is pretty sporadic and can have long gaps. Nevertheless, I love the game.

I play Backgammon with another old friend, and Chinese Checkers with another, too.

Timeless Classics, even if only enjoyed every once in a while.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Nothing beats in-person games, ultimately, as "seeing the board" on a real board is harder / different / 3D vs 2D. A real life game doesn't have a convenient overhead view, and you can miss "seeing" things a bit more, I think, and in the same way online poker misses the human opponent element some and leaves some with a gap once they transition to in person play, so does chess. But online is a nice substitute for some things, definitely a great supplement...

You know, that's a really keen observation. Although playing a human opponent is its own wrinkle, seeing pieces and moves 3D vs. 2D throws up a whole additional set of challenges, and really throws me off. Even playing computer chess in 3D mode, I tend to miss opponents pieces in the backfield... ie Bishops hiding behind other pieces in the corners.

I'm really glad you mentioned that nuance. I might try toggling between overhead God's eye view and 3D between moves, to see if it helps me see threats and moves better.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I just played my first game on chess. com, against a bot.

Play real people and then review the games after for the best "engine" moves and missed lines.

I'm not real big on creating online accounts, unless absolutely necessary.. but I think my plan is to spend a little more time on the site as a non-member, tool around, see how it's run and what it has to offer, and maybe sign up a little later.

I gotta admit, chess.com does seem to offer some interesting opportunities for an enthusiast.

I was on a respectable and fun winning streak, but over the last week or so the computer has been kicking my ass... and my game needs some serious help.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
You can review your games against the bots also.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried chess.com. They are kicking my ass. Lol

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I prefer lichess for a chess playing website. Also The House of Staunton and Chess House are good places to purchase chess supplies. At one time I was rated a chess "Expert" by the USCF but I haven't played in any tournaments for many years. I still play blitz chess online on FICS or lichess. Lichess is the better site though. Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess is a good beginners book.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post