SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fiancée leased a new car, once home, we noticed a huge scratch. What's the the best recourse?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiancée leased a new car, once home, we noticed a huge scratch. What's the the best recourse? Login/Join 
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted
So last week, the missus leased a 2019 Lexus is300. It was in the showroom and we didn't notice any damage at that time. They never suggested a walk-around before we left and we didn't think about it either (our bad).

Anyway, once home, under the fluorescent garage lighting we noticed a scratch beginning on the very front fender, across the hood, onto the roof and ending a few inches behind the sunroof. The thing is nearly 6' of scratch, two parallel lines about 1/8" apart. The end of the scratch has a hook to it, I'm guessing it was done by the make ready guys when they washed it after purchase. Because of the "hook" on the roof, I'm betting they used a damaged squeegee or something while washing, slapped it on the roof and dragged it down to the fender. There is another decent scuff on the edge of the roofline.

The sales lady is understanding and seems to acknowledge this occourred before we took possession of the vehicle. So far they have picked up the car, leaving a loner while they tried to correct it. Two days later, scratch is still there but slightly less noticeable. The scratch is into the base coat and would need paint to correct.

My brother in law is a professional paint/body man and says the right fix would include painting 70% of the car, to the tune of +/- $3000. Re-spraying a brand new car is not anything we want to do. If the dealer would even offer it.

The buy-out is low enough she may purchase the car at the end of the lease so we'd really like this car to be perfect, not to mention it's a new car.

The sales manager was busy today but we will talk with him tomorrow. What would yall suggest is a fair solution. I think a replacement vehicle is the best solution but we would consider a payment credit in the $3k range.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of delima and the outcome?

Thanks

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sales manager was busy today but we will talk with him tomorrow. What would yall suggest is a fair solution. I think a replacement vehicle is the best solution but we would consider a payment credit in the $3k range.

I think your proposal is fair. I would accept nothing less. Not everybody videotapes their car immediately after purchase. Their fault not yours.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the contact written in such a way that you are guaranteed the right to purchase at the end of the lease? If so, I would put up more of a fight (assuming you are definitely planning to buy it). If not, then I would accept whatever they did to make it look mostly normal, since you have no guarantee the car is yours at the end of the lease anyway.

I have no experience leasing, so sorry for my ignorance if lease contracts are always written with a guaranteed purchase availability.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Some states have a “cooling off” period of 24, 48 or 72 hours during which a customer can legally back out of a contract. Find out if your state has that law, and use it to your advantage. You may have to be “firm” with the dealership, it’s possible they’ll try to put you off until that time period elapses, by saying something like “the sales manager is busy today”.

Wink

It doesn’t look to me like Texas has a law that will let you rescind a contract. Here’s a link to Texas finance code for motor vehicle sales. I don’t know if it applies to leases. And I don’t think it will be any help anyway, because you took delivery.

Perhaps jhe88 will show up in a few minutes to tell us what the hell this means:

https://statutes.capitol.texas...m/FI.348.htm#348.111

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
All good info. We have had the car for over a week at this point so any chance of reneging is out the window at this point.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I hope the dealership does right by you but I have a bad feeling about this one

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am more optomistic. I have purchased lots of cars over the years, and my experience is that this situation will work out OK for you.

New cars at dealerships get damaged all the time. They park them so tight in the lot, it is impossible not to scratch some up. They usually do a walk around with you at purchase, but not always. The cost for them to have body work done is pretty minimal even if they do not have their own shop. I would want a new vehicle. Keep us posted.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Talked with the sales manager today, he said a replacement vehicle may not be an option depending on where the paperwork is in the process. He is looking into it now. Is this a line of BS?

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I hope not but my concern would be once the vehicle left their property without the damage noted it becomes an uphill battle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Talked with the sales manager today, he said a replacement vehicle may not be an option depending on where the paperwork is in the process. He is looking into it now. Is this a line of BS?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. Stall tactic. I would meet him face to face in the dealership. He can make it happen if he wants.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
In my experience with the two Lexus dealers I have dealt with, they are huge on customer service and satisfaction. I think you will get a reasonable solution from them. If not, ask to talk to the regional Lexus rep.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with a Nissan Car I bought a while back.
If the Sales Manager does not go with a replacement, be polite but persistent with the vehicle needs further professional repair work. Pre-Delivery damage, either occurring on the lot or in transit happens a lot. Dealerships have at least a couple paint contractors that get a lot of "fix it like new" work due to this type of damage, and the dealership will get a "sweetheart" price, one that a customer will not, from the paint contractor.
As a last recourse, remember that Lexus Corporate values complete customer satisfaction very highly, even if the Sales Manager and the local dealership do not. Contact the Regional Office of Lexus.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TXJIM beat me to the post button since I answered a call during my reply. Smile

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Get the OWNER on the phone. Tell them you purchased a perfect car, you don't want a damaged/repaired car. The car is theirs, WILL be staying on their lot, until a replacement is trucked in from Idaho. Call corporate Lexus.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Well, good news. The sales woman called this afternoon and said we would be getting a replacement vehicle. This dealer and Lexus in general, seem to pride themselves on customer service and it shows here. Hopefully this new car is perfect.

Thanks for the feedback on this.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience in 2014. Purchased a new GMC truck. Picked it up late in the evening so I didn't do a final walk around. The dealer was scheduled to pick it up a few day later to apply a spray-on bed liner. The night before I gave it a once over in case anything else needed to be done. I happen to jump in the bed to check the roof and I noticed a four inch scrape/dent right on the transition from the roof the the back window. It had baby blue paint embedded it. First thing that entered my mind was a transport ramp dropped on it. I called my salesman first thing the next morning telling him about it. He sounded a bit skeptical but once he saw it himself he agreed that the damage must have occurred prior to delivery to me. He said they would repair it. I asked to renegotiate the deal because the vehicle was no longer in "new" condition as far as I was concerned. They refused to renegotiate so I told them I wanted to cancel the sale and to return my trade-in truck and that's exactly what occurred.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, good news.

Good to hear.

Just took my 230mi 2019 to dealership. Trunk is 1/8" out of alignment. Said he had to send to body shop, now I'm nervous about whatever they are going to have to do to bend/force/nudge/coercive to get it to align correctly. Service manager doesn't think it can be adjusted by nuts.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
It sucks turning you vehicle over. There's no telling what damage it may return with.

The day I bought my f250, the salesman opened the passenger door right into another open car door and hopped in like nothing happened, he was going to show me the infotainment setup... I siad, let's have a look at that door before we go any further. YEP, put a dent in it. They had it PDR'D, but seriously, WTF?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. Stall tactic. I would meet him face to face in the dealership. He can make it happen if he wants.

Well, if the title has been applied for(lots of dealerships are able to do title work in house)
Then it's no longer a new car, but used.
Which complicates just swapping keys.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Well, good news. The sales woman called this afternoon and said we would be getting a replacement vehicle. This dealer and Lexus in general, seem to pride themselves on customer service and it shows here. Hopefully this new car is perfect.

Thanks for the feedback on this.

nice. they did step up. good for you and good for them.