SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you get for yourself during the last Apocalypse?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you get for yourself during the last Apocalypse? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
This was my third Apocalypse.

First was the economic crisis in Argentina in 2001. I was financially sound, had just bought and payed my apartment (something almost impossible for most people down here and thanks to a generous donation from a satisfied customer turned friend).
When the economy collapsed, the banks closed, money became both scarce and worthless. Bills kept coming as if nothing had happened. My income went from $3000 to pesos equivalent of $200 or less, overnight.
Had a month old baby and no means to feed him as stores shut down and barricaded fearing looters in the same situation as mine.

Second was 9/11.
I realised that morning watching the first sickening images that my parents were on a flight inbound for NYC. I had learnrd that the previous day but was too busy working to pay much attention.
Comms collapsed, I only learned they were ok later that day thanks to an Hkpro board member from NY. They had landed before the attacks. They usually stayed at the hotel at Ground Zero that was buried but had been unable to get specially priced rooms…

2020 When the Pandemic started we were forcefully confined to our homes, couldn’t walk around the block, use public transportation and required special permits to circulate. Age restrictions, jurisdiction restrictions, you name it, all applied. Hotels closed or were used to isolate people.
Quit my job of 30 years.
My area is mostly big name hotels and old farts (slowly turning into one myself) and it became a ghost town when tourists completely vanished and the old folk were unable to get out. Scary as in a 50s sci-fi movie. Depressing.

The economy, already on life support, took two in the back of its head. Still, it keeps going. My people’s resilience has earned us the roaches utmost respect.

As the Mall one block away was closed indefinitely and we wondered what it would take to reopen again, one of the shops rented a room and started offering its goods almost clandestinely. Hotels were not supposed to operate and shopping malls were a definite no-no.
So out of absolute boredom i decided to go take a look and over a few days i bought a bunch of brand name t-shirts, joggings and jackets that otherwise i would have never thought of purchasing.
If this is it, might as well go out in style, right?

As time passed by and seasons changed and there was bo reason to dress well, all my goodies remain unused in their original wrapping.
When the situation cleared a bit, I bought a Moonwatch. Extremely useful between my bedroom and the kitchen. A must have Roll Eyes

So, did you get something special?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
In the Spring of 2020, I bought this stupid watch. It was actually made in a factory not far from Wuhan, and appeared nearly as ugly as the virus itself. Moved it on, of course, as I do all my watches at some point or another. Ins and outs.

You've been through a lot brother. I can't imagine such.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Summer 2020 - 3rd kid
Summer 2022 - New House & all debts [except house] paid off
2 weeks ago - New [to us] car, and car note

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Precious Metals...Copper, Brass & Lead, along with Forged Aluminum Alloys and Ordnance Steels

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised you never bugged out and found a new country. You certainly have had good enough reason to.

quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
This was my third Apocalypse.

First was the economic crisis in Argentina in 2001. I was financially sound, had just bought and payed my apartment (something almost impossible for most people down here and thanks to a generous donation from a satisfied customer turned friend).
When the economy collapsed, the banks closed, money became both scarce and worthless. Bills kept coming as if nothing had happened. My income went from $3000 to pesos equivalent of $200 or less, overnight.
Had a month old baby and no means to feed him as stores shut down and barricaded fearing looters in the same situation as mine.

Second was 9/11.
I realised that morning watching the first sickening images that my parents were on a flight inbound for NYC. I had learnrd that the previous day but was too busy working to pay much attention.
Comms collapsed, I only learned they were ok later that day thanks to an Hkpro board member from NY. They had landed before the attacks. They usually stayed at the hotel at Ground Zero that was buried but had been unable to get specially priced rooms…

2020 When the Pandemic started we were forcefully confined to our homes, couldn’t walk around the block, use public transportation and required special permits to circulate. Age restrictions, jurisdiction restrictions, you name it, all applied. Hotels closed or were used to isolate people.
Quit my job of 30 years.
My area is mostly big name hotels and old farts (slowly turning into one myself) and it became a ghost town when tourists completely vanished and the old folk were unable to get out. Scary as in a 50s sci-fi movie. Depressing.

The economy, already on life support, took two in the back of its head. Still, it keeps going. My people’s resilience has earned us the roaches utmost respect.

As the Mall one block away was closed indefinitely and we wondered what it would take to reopen again, one of the shops rented a room and started offering its goods almost clandestinely. Hotels were not supposed to operate and shopping malls were a definite no-no.
So out of absolute boredom i decided to go take a look and over a few days i bought a bunch of brand name t-shirts, joggings and jackets that otherwise i would have never thought of purchasing.
If this is it, might as well go out in style, right?

As time passed by and seasons changed and there was bo reason to dress well, all my goodies remain unused in their original wrapping.
When the situation cleared a bit, I bought a Moonwatch. Extremely useful between my bedroom and the kitchen. A must have Roll Eyes

So, did you get something special?

0-0

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A divorce and a new house, during the first months of the Pandemic.

Then more recently, a major promotion.

The last few years have been great, despite the global situation.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
September 2020 - New House

July 2022 - New Motorcycle

Throughout - Ammo whenever halfway decent prices could be found

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Payed off our house. Now we only owe on the electricity, water, trash and food bills.

I did buy a Ruger 1911 commander sized pistol, because I can.

I’m working on the next purchase, ostensibly for my 20 year wedding anniversary in March. Maybe a 1903A3. I have zero use for one other than to cast bullets and shoot it….and that I don’t have one…but I’m not dead set on it..mehhh still got a few months

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm surprised you never bugged out and found a new country. You certainly have had good enough reason to.

I was considering it once again recently. What keeps us here is an elderly (84YO) MIL and a sister that suffered a massive brain stroke in 2017. Both require our immediate support.
The last misunderstanding between our pPresident and VP dropped the Peso value by a third. Pesos are not valuable, dollars are restricted and property can’t be traded.

BOHICA is a way of life.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Spring of 2020, bought a fancy Honda lawn mower with my Trump stimulus, it’s awesome.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2020, a very nice triathlon bike with electronic shifting. Love it.

Earlier this year, my son gifted me a P365X. It's now on my CCW. Pretty happy.

The past 12 months, we've traveled a fair amount, so I can't complain.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, after 9/11 I bought a big-ass Bowie knife. It seemed at the time like an appropriate thing to do. As a matter fact, of still does.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I got completely out of debt minus the house late 2019. Almost completed my N64 cart set, and finally got a 1911.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
A new wife in early 2020 just as the apocalypse was ramping up.

Quit/retired from my career after 2 years of covid nonsense made it unbearable.

Now we're trying our best to ignore the world.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A BMW motorcycle!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nicky,
I remember when you got that Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch with all the bling goodies it came with. :drool:
Me? My late son had a stripped CMMG lower that he had acquired with plans to build a LR308. So during the WuFlu shitstorm I managed to acquire all the correct DPMS parts needed to finish and honor what he had wanted.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Picked up a 1941 Luftschutz helmet in Poland and a WW2 era Civil Defense Air Raid Warden helmet locally, because. I'm holding the knives for a friend currently stationed in Poland

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Shit I'm still buying and selling as if times were good. My most recent feel good purchase is a 2004 Corvette convertible. As far as Apocalypse goes I did snag a Sig P365 at a gunshow this spring but I would have bought it regardless of politics.

I did buy 4 keeper revolvers in last year or so. 5" mod 27, engraved 5 screw nickel k22, S&W heavy Duty .38sp in display and a 5 screw blue k22 w/sambar stag. Bought the gun to get the grips

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M203 with Colt M4A1.

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post