SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about pulling apart two single wall stove pipes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about pulling apart two single wall stove pipes Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have two single wall black stove pipes. These are seamless. Meant to slide into one another. One is a 4' the other is maybe 3'. They are meant to slip into one another and slide as to provide a slip joint. They are now pretty jammed together. They are somewhat tapered. I cannot seem to get apart. I have tied a couple ropes on them and pull to get them apart. A no go. I have not tried a comealong yet. Might do that. Before I scrap these and buy a new set. Probably $40 or more. Wondering if anyone has any ideas to pull apart.

Yes they have been used so there is a glaze on the inside.

Thanks if you have any suggestions.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I have two single wall black stove pipes. These are seamless. Meant to slide into one another. One is a 4' the other is maybe 3'. They are meant to slip into one another and slide as to provide a slip joint. They are now pretty jammed together. They are somewhat tapered. I cannot seem to get apart. I have tied a couple ropes on them and pull to get them apart. A no go. I have not tried a comealong yet. Might do that. Before I scrap these and buy a new set. Probably $40 or more. Wondering if anyone has any ideas to pull apart.

Yes they have been used so there is a glaze on the inside.

Thanks if you have any suggestions.

Are they single wall or double wall? Is there a screw(s) somewhere around the joint? You might try lightly tapping around the joint with a hammer to try and loosen it up .

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
If you have a heat gun, try heating up the larger pipe in the joint after while tapping gently on it with a rubber mallet. Either way, I would replace these with a good double wall pipe and be done with it. It will prevent getting burned too easily and reduce chances of a fire.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
More info and a pic or two might be helpful. I’m not sure if the application from the description.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'd use a short piece of broomstick, or 2x2, place the stick against the rim of the inside pipe, and tap with a hammer, working my way around the rim, until the piece comes loose.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Single wall pipe up to the transition box in the ceiling on my stove and they're probably creosoted together. Single wall should be cheap and it's probably not worth the trouble of trying to get them apart. a little judicious heat and some gentle tapping at the joint might loosen them up though.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This has "not worth the trouble" written all over it.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Perhaps inevitable trash...but first.
I'd get the rubber mallet and apply
increasingly enthusiastic shock
blows around the circumference of
the Junction point. Enough to distort
the seal without disrupting the
basic pipe shape. They are surprisingly
resilient up to a point.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I agree with all of that. I will try a bit more today. If no go, will replace. I really appreciate it.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
ok guys, here is an update. I tried a 1x2" piece of wood but just could not get enough of the lip to hit it hard enough. So grabbed a piece of 3/4"
sch. 40 black iron pipe. Worked around the diameter. Found one spot that the pipe stayed and could wack it pretty good. Slowly it moved. Kept at it and eventually it came out. It did roll over the lip of the pipe that was taking the brunt of the punishment. No big deal because I was going to shorten the pipe quite a bit anyways.
One I got the measurements right I got out the sawzall with a metal cutting blade and sawed it it off. Was not a perfect cut but was good and since this is a slip (slider joint) I have about 8" to work with. After cutting took a hand file and filed down the burs. Fits good and slides with some resistance but slides with ease. So I think I am good to reinstall. Hoping no smoke leaks. The draw should be strong.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
If you have a heat gun, try heating up the larger pipe in the joint after while tapping gently on it with a rubber mallet. Either way, I would replace these with a good double wall pipe and be done with it. It will prevent getting burned too easily and reduce chances of a fire.

Unless you're like the guy who used the most common type of double wall pipe (b-vent, used for gas fired equipment) on a wood stove.
The inner aluminum lining will not hold up to wood burning temperatures. Eek

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
This single wall pipe is all legit wood stove pipe. Then goes in to metalbestos type pipe in a box and up through the attic space and up to the cap on the very top. The black single wall in from the stove up to the ceiling box.

Thanks guys I appreciate the thoughts and advice. You are the best!