SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christos Anesti!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christos Anesti! Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
an Easter custom among Orthodox Christians to greet another person with "Christ is Risen!" and the response is Alithos Anesti ("Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη! " - "Truly He is Risen!" or "He Has Risen Indeed!")

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Воистину воскрес!

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The phrase "Christo Anesti!" has been ruined for my by the "My big fat Greek wedding" movies. Which I love!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
an Easter custom among Coptic and Greek Christians to greet another person with "Christ is Risen!" and the response is Alithos Anesti ("Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη! " - "Truly He is Risen!" or "He Has Risen Indeed!")
It is a custom among Christians here to intone "Christ is Risen!" with the response "Christ is risen indeed!" (Sometimes "Christ" is replaced by "He", but the intent is the same.) I have been accustomed to this happening for most of my life. It usually only occurs on Easter Sunday, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
my ex-wife was half Greek, we always had Ham Easter, and Lamb Easter.

sometimes we got really lucky and they fell on the same day.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Christos Anesti to all. We use the Orthodox calender, which usually celebrates His birth a little later. And we also get candy at half off. Wink

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Άλιθως Ανέστη. Indeed he has risen.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this thread. I had not heard this before, but I think it is a wonderful thing.
Christos Anesti to all! Truly He has risen.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post